Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Anyone else find childhood favorites less fun now?
Personally, I feel like Donkey Kong Country 2 is a good game with some decent mechanics. But my goodness, is the save method just brutal at times.

The fact that you have to collect coins to save seems a bit silly in hindsight. And that if you get a game-over, you restart at the last save point. I remember one of the worlds having a save point pretty late inside it, so one goof up that results in a game-over means redoing the boss from the last world, and doing a couple levels over again.

There is a fine point between something being challenging and difficult (which this game does fine), and having to restart hours of progress you did because of an arbitrary number system that was a leftover of the arcade era saying "You made a bunch of mistakes. So here's an hour of progress undone".

Personally, I may be sounding like I'm being a wimp from being used to modern mechanics. But I feel like in a modern-day setting where you may not have all the time available to play a game, it's pretty unfair to have to redo tons of lost progress because of saves not being something that you have the freedom to do in this game.

When I played the game, most of it was me just beating a level, collecting 2 coins to save, and redoing that just so I don't lose progress from a game-over.

Oh! And I forgot this game has an enemy that steals lives. And they really like placing them where you don't expect them to be.

Stuff like this makes me happy modern games don't have lives or game-overs, or the fact they let you save whenever you need to.
I like to make models in my free time. I also make weird games, too.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone else find childhood favorites less fun now? - by Filler - 10-13-2017, 12:26 AM