Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ripping Ethics: Commercial vs. Noncommercial Games
After Mane6 were told to Cease and Desist making Fighting is Magic, I went looking for people to help me rip the sprites so I could help join the cause to keep it alive. I was shocked to find people refusing and even shaming me, saying that if I respected the work of these creators, I'd not rip from them. I was told this by sprite rippers... Luckily some people did help me in the end, and a bunch of us were able to start on finishing the game off. Mane6 have never once complained about these fan-finished versions.

I only rip sprites from games I really respect, and I wish I could meet the spriters and thank them. Even when I saw the sprites I ripped go into a REALLY bad fangame, I was just really pleased. I can't think of a bigger compliment than for a fangame to be made based on your own game. And knowing I helped someone make a fangame feels great.

If I had ever managed to finish my Guardian Heroes fangame, and helped to hype people up about the original, maybe Treasure would've made that sequel. I feel like I let them down by not being ready in time. Just like Yugioh Abridged is responsible for a shockingly large portion of the Yugioh fanbase, a fangame can do the same. It can revive a dead series, or show that there's an audience for a sequel. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery for a reason.

Even if I keep failing to make games, just knowing I at least helped someone else to make one puts me at ease. And I can feel like I am paying these game studios back from the great times they've given me. A few £s to the gamestore alone just doesn't feel like I'm really doing enough to thank them. Fan art, fan music, fan movies, fan games. They are the best way to say thanks, and fan games need sprites, so to suggest we shouldn't rip from non-profit games is just absurd. It's backwards!

That, and any sprites worth ripping must have been made with care and passion. Paid or not, artists deserve respect and recognition. If they did a good job, nothing else matters. Money should never come into it. All artists should be credited. But you know... they don't make it easy. Knowing who made it, or if it was made by one or many people is difficult to find out. Crediting the game is completely fine to do. It's just safer that way than to get the credit wrong. The spriters can always contact us if they want to. I bet they'd even release the sheets themselves if they were legally allowed to.

So in short: People complaining about which games are okay to rip from, and which aren't, are just not thinking at all. Ripping is respect. And we should credit all artists weather they were paid, or are huge jerks, or anything else. And that crediting a game when it's unclear who the spriter is, is completely fine to do. We're rippers, not detectives. Sorry for the large post. I've just experienced shaming for ripping certain games, and even for ripping at all. I just needed to get it off my chest.
Thanked by: Dunkelschwamm, Ton

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ripping Ethics: Commercial vs. Noncommercial Games - by MinusDaPony - 09-07-2016, 09:22 AM