Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ghostbusters 2016 (And its Controversy)
nah just keep it

So uhm I went to see this movie on launch day. It's...not bad? And the movie can stand on its own two legs. I tried to watch it objectively, and I can't say that at any point that I disliked it. It's a good summer film, and it's definitely not Ghostbusters 1 (I think Feig knows that he can't top this) but thank god it's not Ghostbusters 2.
btw, if no one's mentioned it yet - if people can make a big stink about the "Michael Bay Turtles" when Michael Bay is literally an executive producer and not the director, then you can argue in Ghostbuster's favor as Dan Akroyd serves as the executive producer on this one. I mean this definitely isn't Ghostbusters 3, but it's really, really not trying to be Ghostbusters 3.

However, the one thing - and it's probably damning - the whole film plays out like a really long cartoon, and the film itself knows not to take itself seriously. But that's good. Additionally, Feig really writes the characters well playing upon each actress' strengths to better flesh out the characters. It's the first Feig movie starring Melissa McCarthy that actually kinda redeemed the actress - like I didn't completely hate her. Also, if anything, Kate McKinnon's character completely steals the show with how wacky her character is. Heart I want a sequel so I can enjoy more Kate McKinnon as a Ghostbuster.
Chris Hemsworth plays a brainless ditz (which is really a role you don't see men play in comedies) and Feig wrote him extremely well. The weird chemistry he has with the Ghostbusters really works out well for him, too. Unfortunately he's not Louis Tully and does not do their taxes.

The only REAL criticism I had is that if you're trying to compare it to the original, the entire movie feels like a frantic train - things just keep going and going and going and then "oh, here's the bad guy and now we are defeating him". Also, extremely grating product placement, but I think that was completely intentional.

I did like how all four original Ghostbusters (yep, you read that right) and Sigourney Weaver all made cameos in the film. Oh, yeah and one other thing. If it's obvious, it's not trying to fill the other film's shoes - it's got a completely different, very cartoonish antagonist in this film
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Ghostbusters 2016 (And its Controversy) - by Koh - 05-21-2016, 05:17 PM
RE: Ghostbusters 2016 (And its Controversy) - by Kosheh - 07-21-2016, 08:20 AM