Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Tutorial] Ripping from Battlefield Heroes (and other BF games)
If you don't understand the significance of what I'm about to say, here is the thing:
Previously, the only way to convert models from Battlefield Heroes, or other BF games using the same format was to download a 10 year old version of Max (Max 9 to be exact) to use a set of Max tools which wasn't 100% reliable, and with that it was both risky and unethical to do such a thing if you didn't happen to be one of the few people on earth that owns it.
With what I'm about to say it works with any 3d modelling program, and not just Max, but anything that supports the .obj format, which is great for those non-max users.
To top off what I'm going to say, Battlefield Heroes is a dead game, meaning there is no way to rip the files with live programs like Ninja Ripper or Ripper DX.

With that being said, let's get started!

1) The hardest step of them all, surely. PM me for the files for this dead F2P game since it is no longer downloadable. (I'd publicly link it, but I don't really want EA to come after wherever I'm hosting the files since they no longer are publicly available.)
Edit: Files can be obtained here.

2) Download the latest version of BFMeshView and then use this modified version of the .exe so the correct UVs export (special thanks to the program's creator for assisting me with this!) - this was a big issue beforehand, as it'd be just one big hour to fix a mess for each individual model and it wouldn't even be true to the original UV.
Note: In regards to .bundlemesh, only the last model/geometry gets exported, which is bad for vehicles and who knows what else. Do not fret though, a fix is currently in the works to export all the models in a .bundlemesh!
Edit: We pretty much stopped at the point where all the models in a .bundlemesh do get exported instead of just the last, BUT they are all one jumbled mess, sorry for the inconveniences. I've gone and uploaded this version.
If you want to know what change was made to the code to make the UV export correctly, here it is:

3) Find and open your model, select the LOD you want (LOD 1 is the best!), and export the model as an .obj by hitting the highlighted export button as shown
If you want to set up your texture path so the materials display in the viewer, go to Tools -> Preferences and press Add under Mod/Texture paths, if the materials appear black in the viewport, disable the GLSL shaders which is under the View drop down.
[Image: Tree_Export.png]

4) Import the model into your favourite modelling program, set up the texture paths, vertically flip the UVs, and viola! (P.S. I didn't flip the UV in the screenshot, lel)
Once in a while the coordinate/location of the UV may be off, to fix it just drag it around and use the built-in UV viewer on BFMeshView for reference as to where it should be.
[Image: Blender_BFHTree.jpg]
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
[Tutorial] Ripping from Battlefield Heroes (and other BF games) - by Xiron - 05-21-2016, 03:04 AM