Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Nostalgia Triggering VGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sbX4XH1wKI

Yes, I know the song isn't the correct pitch but it was how I played the game on my Mega Drive back in the day. Even now, I try to play the game on 50Hz just for the memories even though it has been about 15 years since I heard it on its original speed (various emulators, Sonic Mega Collection). It goes back to a time when everything isn't cynical and dark but bright and pleasent of the mid 90s, also when people loved Sonic. For me, this is the memory triggering song. I feel old...

As well as that and other various Sonic songs from 1, 2, R and Triple Trouble; there are others too. This one people are very familar with anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_zAxPqKa8Y It goes back towards a time when Sega was king and arcades were the place to play the most advanced games (now it is PC and mobile mixed but not the same). When the arcades disappeared and the arcade style of gaming collapsing within the past few years on top of Sega barely being here anymore, it felt like a bit of gaming died for me. The echos of Daytona is a bit haunting if you think about it.

A few Mario games as well, with this one and this one. Unlike many, I grew up with the portable Mario games with Super Mario 64 being my first console one. While Mario games do thankfully still get made and many still have great soundtracks (such as World Bowser in Super Mario 3D World that is swanky), it is the older ones that give me the memories.

The last ones that give me the memories are from the Dreamcast era. While many, many games still have great music afterwards (some fantastic), it is from a era where the good memories start to turn rotten for me and society started to change (that changed again and again and has mostly flatlined for the past 8 years with a few changes here and there). The DC era is still in between the 90s mixed with the hype of the millennium. Virtua Tennis made me a fan of tennis games and graphics started to get lifelike, the Slot House and Tomato Store from Shenmue, Sega Rally 2 gave me the time of the my life even if the port could be better and MSR is like saying goodbye (strangely the lyrics retrospectively are really fitting). Would have also mentioned Crazy Taxi but that was licensed. Saying that 16 years has passed is making me feel old and still think that it hasn't felt like 16 years.

An oddball one is this from Gran Turismo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sbX4XH1wKI (when I thought racing games couldn't get any better and was really the big game) Would have also combined with Sweet 16 with a few others from the game but they are licensed.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Nostalgia Triggering VGM - by Koh - 05-06-2016, 07:44 PM
RE: Nostalgia Triggering VGM - by Shade - 05-06-2016, 08:30 PM
RE: Nostalgia Triggering VGM - by miyabi95_ - 05-06-2016, 10:02 PM
RE: Nostalgia Triggering VGM - by Goemar - 05-07-2016, 01:52 PM
RE: Nostalgia Triggering VGM - by Zero Kirby - 05-07-2016, 03:16 PM
RE: Nostalgia Triggering VGM - by Yawackhary - 05-14-2016, 04:10 PM
RE: Nostalgia Triggering VGM - by Shade - 05-16-2016, 09:43 PM