Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
2D Zelda Higher Resolution Community Project
(04-18-2016, 07:34 AM)Koh Wrote:
(04-17-2016, 11:30 AM)Valo Wrote: Valo

-post-

Who says I didn't try though?  Maybe I did it when it was first suggested, but saw it looked awkward.  Seeing is believing, so...

(04-18-2016, 07:15 AM)DragonDePlatino Wrote: Whoa. That escalated quickly.

The fun of the experiment is seeing what details people add so I actually like Valo's Link a lot. It's faithful to the blonde-haired design of the time but stays faithful to the original sprite.
First, the base with no changes.
[Image: hyueB8s.png]

Am I -post- meme yet?
Don't mean to kick up old dust, and I don't want this post to seem like a "You're bad" or "I'm better than you" type post as thats not the intent. Just that, your presented examples, doesn't show anything. You seem to be making the point of "my attempt wasn't looking good so it can't be done." While also using a more 'flawed' way of doing the pixel art to begin with.

Now, to go more in depth with what I said about flawed way of doing pixel art, because you basically just did a x2 version of the normal sprite with the exact same amount of detail, it gives it a horrible 'chiseled' look. Like you carved a generic shape of something rather actually made it(Doesn't make any sense but i'm not a worder). You need to remember that almost all 2D art forms tend to be illusions and that form is important. But as yours has that chisel look, it becomes flat, similar to tracing a photograph. It's a link shaped sprite rather than a sprite of link. At the size of links awakening sprites, the best illusion of an eye you're going to get is 2 pixels stacked vertically. It also works at the resolution.

[Image: 3cc93b186e76cb56e80aedf6ca37df0f.png]
Tried my hand at it to give an example of what I mean while trying to keep the original feel of LA.

TL;DR version: I don't think your original points on 'it doesn't look good when ____ is added' have any merit. As your examples shown didn't show that it can't be done, but rather you didn't do it right.
Thanked by: Valo, Shade

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2D Zelda Higher Resolution Community Project - by -Ash- - 04-22-2016, 09:38 PM