Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
The Whole Dragon's Crown Sorceress Thing
A good example of anthropomorphic characters done in a serious tone would be the cult comic Fish Police
[Image: dtX3K6D.jpg]
The comic is a crime drama featuring Inspector Gill, who's the green fish featured on the cover here. It lasted 26 issues in its lifetime.
It also got an in-name-only animated adaptation made as an attempt to compete against The Simpons in 1992. Only has six episodes.
Many say the true reason it flopped as a show was because Hanna-Barbera produced it, as it does look like a Saturday Morning cartoon.

Adult cartoonist Robert Crumb's earliest characters was Fritz the Cat. It was a humorous underground comic from the late 60s though.
It features crazy adventures involving crime, drugs, and sex. One story even crosses the line with him having sex with his sister.
When Ralph Bakshi's adaptation came out, Crumb hated it so much he killed off the character vowing to never use him again.

Ralph Bakshi also made the cult film Coonskin. Think Br'er Rabbit as if he's a dude fighting off corrupted cops, con-men, and the mafia.
I'd say give it a watch if you're curious. You'd be surprised how much Bakshi knows about African American culture.
Gets bonus points from me for starring Phillip Michael Thomas, Barry White, and Scatman Crothers.

And as stated before: We do have a thread to discuss anthropomorphic characters here.

The thing with King and Armor King. Those are actually jaguar head-shaped masks, and we never see their faces officially.
King (the original) was also inspired by Fray Tormenta, a catholic priest who became a luchador to support an orphanage.
I'm sure many of you know about that. But it's still a cool story that helped influence many luchador themed characters.
[Image: sonamy_animtitle_by_retrobunyip-dbg86ov.gif]

Messages In This Thread
The Whole Dragon's Crown Sorceress Thing - by Koh - 04-10-2016, 05:45 AM
RE: The Whole Dragon's Crown Sorceress Thing - by Dolphman - 04-12-2016, 02:05 AM