Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Anthropomorphic characters (What are some of your favorites?)
(04-12-2016, 04:01 AM)Koopaul Wrote: So I noticed in video games the amount of cartoony anthros have declined and I believe its because no one takes those kinds of characters "seriously" anymore. Like such a character can't be the star of a deep story, only someone who looks like Cloud Strife or Master Chief can be taken that way.

Such an idea obviously annoyed me and inspired me to make my own cartoony anthro and put him in a world that already has a "chosen hero" who looks like Link or a FF protagonist. I wanted to contrast these two types of characters we see in video games using the theme of peoples-expectations vs self-determination.

I bring this up because another topic started talking about cartoony anthros being used in a more serious role.
I aim to do this with our games too, to an extent.  Like, there will be some lighthearted moments, but when it's time to get serious, serious things can happen, and will happen.

I think one of the reasons people often say this about games that feature toons is because they're often depicted as invincible beings who can take anything and not bleed, but are also really zany.  But what if they're just as mortal as other living things, and also zany?  That's what we're aiming to accomplish in our works, sans the gore.  Growing up in the 90s with cartoons everywhere definitely inspired us to craft our worlds this way, but also, just the neat concept of humans and toons coexisting in the same world, like Roger Rabbit (except I personally dislike the style clash in this one.  I can understand the novelty of combining the animated scene with the live-action scene, but I'dve just rather seen everything animated like...) or Disney's Bonkers.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by: miyabi95_

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anthropomorphic characters (What are some of your favorites?) - by Koh - 04-12-2016, 07:04 AM