Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
About fighting games development process
Hello, everybody!
As you all probably can see, I'm a new member, so I apologize in advance if I make any mistakes.  

I'd like to introduce myself briefly, beforehand. I suggest you to skip this and the next paragraphs, if you're not in a very patient mood, 'cause I feel like this will be a long post and what I'm going to write won't add too much to the discussion. Anyway, so, I've always been interested in the process of making games and, for about six years, I've always had this desire of making my own fan-project. I'm still quite young, only 20 years old, and my 14 years old self wasn't aware of how much work is put into making a merely decent game. And money.

Now, I'm quite aware that, currently, it's impossible to start any project, for I lack experience and, especially, money. However, I still want to, eventually, when I find myself in better conditions, do my own projects, but with more realistic ambitions. Instead of doing full games, I'd be more than happy with making a few MUGEN characters, for example. For now, I'm asking purely out of curiosity.

So, finally, moving to what matters, the particular case I'd like to bring up as an example is the Skullgirls development cost. This is an old subject, but I couldn't find any thread about it. If the question has been discussed in a previous occasion, I'd be happy to read all about it. Anyway, when I first saw that the average cost per character was above 150.000USD, I got naturally shocked. 

Even though some other AAA game companies said that this was cheap, Skullgirls is remarkably expensive for an indie game: The characters were made from scratch; they used traditional 2D techniques, instead of rotoscoping 3D models; the sprites are enormous etc.
As I plan to use already existing characters, many of these issues would be alleviated. And I don't want to get too ahead of myself, so I'll focus here on The Staff and Animation Contracting. Those two alone make up for 78.000USD, more than half of the overall cost. That's obviously a huge amount. 

I'm particularly curious about the following aspects: How much do you, spriters, charge for you work? Is it per frame or per hour? How much should I be willing to pay to have a small-sized, but polished spritesheet? This last question would depend on too many factors, such as the sprite size, style and all that stuff, so imagine “Capcom vs SNK 2/Garou: Mark of the Wolves” style just as a model.

Well, that’s it. I look forward for your answers and wish everyone a nice day!
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
About fighting games development process - by Whatever - 02-13-2016, 08:23 AM