Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Problem with MKV files
I upgraded my computer not long ago and now I'm having a lot of trouble getting MKV files to work. I'm using both Windows 7 and Windows 10, both on different drives, and they both have their own problems when trying to play them. I'm using both Shark007 codecs and Media Player Codec Pack as they have both worked very well for me in the past with no issues, allowing me to play MKV files in Windows Media Player without hassle, but I have had to reinstall both of them several times due to a few finicky issues, namely having stupidly installed the Advanced version of 007 codecs onto an old drive which I then removed, meaning I couldn't install it properly without it trying to upgrade a version that didn't exist anymore.

In the past I also converted the MKV files into MP4, since my video editor of choice doesn't support MKV files, using Any Video Converter free, as it has also worked very well for me without hassle. However it has since stopped being able to convert MKV files at all without crashing on both versions of Windows.

Additional details:

My MKV files are in 720p and 1080p quality, and all of them have subtitles which could be switched on and off in WMP without issue before I upgraded, IIRC, as well as converted in AVC to have separate MP4 versions with and without subtitles.

The MKV files do not have any details when viewing properties in Win10

In Win7, trying to play any of the 720p files EXCEPT ONE gives the error:
"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or a required codec might not be installed on your computer". The single 720p file that works and the 1080p files play fine. Neither types have subtitles when played.

In Win10, 720p files either play sound but have no video (just a black screen) or do not play at all, 1080p files play normally, neither have subtitles.

Attempting to convert either of them with AVC in Win7 causes it to progress to about 1% and then crash with the basic "Any Video Converter has stopped working" error.

Attempting to convert with AVC in Win10 gives the error:
"Runtime Error"
Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\AnvSoft\Any Video Converter\AVCFree.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

My craptop can play all the MKV files fine with subtitles as well as convert them with AVC. It is using an older version of Media Player Codec Pack but does not have Shark007 codecs installed. I have tried downgrading and uninstalling codecs various times on my current computer to no avail.

Any help getting this fixed would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
*Lurks*
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Problem with MKV files - by souperzombie - 02-07-2016, 12:49 PM
RE: Problem with MKV files - by iyenal - 02-07-2016, 12:50 PM
RE: Problem with MKV files - by souperzombie - 02-07-2016, 05:52 PM
RE: Problem with MKV files - by PatientZero - 02-07-2016, 06:05 PM
RE: Problem with MKV files - by Skyla Doragono - 02-07-2016, 06:31 PM
RE: Problem with MKV files - by souperzombie - 02-07-2016, 06:41 PM
RE: Problem with MKV files - by Petie - 02-08-2016, 12:04 AM
RE: Problem with MKV files - by souperzombie - 02-10-2016, 01:37 PM