Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Programming languages and software design interfaces
I felt like starting a discussion on this topic. Since computers aren't only used to draw and play games, you sillies Tongue.

I signed up for some programming classes from my online college in order to jump further into software design. Up until now, I've only had knowledge of drag and drop interfaces as seen in Clickteam products and whatnot, and also Java programming interfaces such as jGRASP and TextWrangler (that I learned in my first year of college from computer science classes).
I noticed something while learning about Java coding though...I noticed a bias. Maybe the people in my college were just super competitive, because they tended to debate over what programming interfaces were considered "cheating" and what interfaces were considered "challenging." 
Imagine if you told someone that you use PaintTool SAI for your work, and they replied back, "You shouldn't use that app. It really puts you at an advantage because of all of the customizable features. You should totally consider using Photoshop because it doesn't hold your hand through the drawing process." (not throwing any jabs at those apps, this is purely an example) I would be taken aback by that, to be completely honest. I'd rather use a program that I'm personally comfortable with using, rather than use a software that would require me to "figure out" more things on my own (Again, I've never used SAI before, so I have no opinion for or against it).
With that said, I've come across these situations with programming interfaces. More specifically, there's the debate between jGRASP and Eclipse, two commonly-used apps for object-based coding. Apparently Eclipse is considered a child's interface due to the way it fills in the blanks for you while writing code. On the other hand, jGRASP starts you from scratch with very few features to help you along the way. What I don't understand is why some of the faculty working in the computer science department of my college tried to force a software like Eclipse out of the curriculum, despite the fact that many students used it to create programs. In my opinion, you should use a program that you feel comfortable with when creating anything. Games, music, programs, art, whatever. It shouldn't matter to other people. They're just have that competitive mindset that tends to make them seem...Elitist at best.
I mean...Of course, it's not professional to be lazy. But is it lazy to have a program guide you through a process?

What is your opinion on the matter? Or if you don't wanna continue with it, you can just talk about your experience with programming Tongue.
[Image: ErbRIBqVkAUtE8F?format=png&name=900x900]
Instagram Twitch Twitter YouTube

Messages In This Thread
Programming languages and software design interfaces - by miyabi95_ - 01-09-2016, 02:00 AM