Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Neon's Top 5: Why VR Will Fail
Welcome, forum users, to my very first edition of Neon's Top 5! Where I list the Top 5 things about topics that are trending, or about my personal interests.

So it's now 2016-or as passengers of the Hype Train are calling it, "The Year of Virtual Reality"-and with it comes various pages on the internet talking about how it will change the future of video games, entertainment, sex....whoops! Did I say that last one out loud? Embarassed However, there are some people (*points to self*) that believe all this VR nonsense is overrated, and some believe it will never become a big success like people make it out to be.

Which is why today I'm bringing you:
The Top 5 Reasons Why Virtual Reality will fail in 2016...at least to me.

#5. It's Too Expensive
One of the primary arguments that people who love VR have towards people who don't is "You haven't tried it yet." Well, I'll tell you the reason why we haven't tried it yet: We can't afford it. Seriously, have any of you even seen how much these VR headsets cost? I sure have. Recently, the dudes responsible for the Occulus Rift have revealed the price for their consumer product to be around $300...and no, I am not trolling you, that's really how much the Rift's gonna cost ya. Don't even get me started on the prices of all the other VR headsets out there. Unsure

Look, I don't care how rich you creators are. No normal human being can make that much money in such a short timespan. Considering how the United States' economy is currently standing, you're just digging your own debt graves pal. To all you VR enthusiasts who wanna try this tech out yourself, better start getting a well-paid job or rob a few banks `cuz those $300 dollar or so headsets ain't gonna hit the Walmart clearance aisle any time soon!

#4. Peripherals and The Necessary Technology
Remember the Power Glove? How bad it was, both metaphorically and literally? If you do, you'll remember that all Mattel showed to the public was the glove itself-what they neglected showing you was the awkward sensors you had to place on your T.V.

So what does that have to do with VR, you might ask? Well, it's because VR headsets will feature the same clunky peripherals for it to work. For example, Valve's HTC Vive originally involved players sticking weird bar-code stickers all over the walls of their room for it to work. Since Gaben thought it would be too confusing for new players, the stickers were swapped out for a pair of wall-mounted cameras, which I feel is even worse than the stickers (I don't think the cameras are set to follow your every move, like most security cameras do.).

And what happens if you, say, lose one of those expensive peripherals or break it? Unless your that spoiled, bratty, tiara-wearing bully of a child who lives with a filthy rich family, your probably gonna have to send your bank account to Money Heaven.Sad

Then there's the technology needed for VR to work. What kind of computer are you currently using to view this website? Chances are, it's specs probably don't match the ones needed for your Rift or Vive or whatever the hell you're using. To put it bluntly, you need to have the strongest and fastest computer in the whole wide world in order to get the full experience of VR. Godspeed, you magnificent bastards.

#3. Health Dangers
One of the Underlying problems with VR is the psychological impacts it will have on the human body; some good, most bad. Specifically, the effects of nausea. The primary reason why the Virtual Boy wasn't a hot seller is that it was prone to giving players eyestrain, headaches, and motion sickness. Unfortunatly history is known to repeat itself, as numerous people who tried out the Occulus Rift have also reported to have similar symptoms. Now I've heard that developers have found a way to fix the nausea...but I don't think they truly have-Nature has its own Game Genie. Wink 

Not to mention that when you're in the Virtual World, you'll pretty much lose all connection to the real world. Oh sure, that road in Skyrim may look straight and clean, but chances are there's actually furniture, appliances, plants, pets, and even people that you don't notice on your VR adventure. There's a reason why Congress doesn't allow us to text and drive...

#2. Limited Uses
I'm probably gonna get flakked for saying this, but I just don't see how VR will change the world drastically, mostly because there's not that many practical uses for it. We already know about video games, but what about other types of media? I read somewhere that VR will let people tour the world from their home-yeah, because saving up money for plane tickets or cruise passports is sooo last year. If that happens, there's gonna be a lot of commercial airlines and cruise ships going out of business.

And Don't even get me started on Virtual Sex...*shutters*. Long story short, if you wanna make sweet love, do it with a real person.

#1. It's overrated
I remember how back in the early 2000s, nobody really talked about VR...now we can't seem to get everyone to shut up about it. Unimpressed Everywhere you look, there's people who keep droning on and on about how they can't wait for the Rift/Vive/Cardboard/whatever, and frankly it's driving me insane!

Can we please stop hyping about Virtual Reality for just a minute? It's not gonna become mainstream in the same manner as iPhones do, and it probably never will for the next five or so years.

~~

So there you have it, the Top 5 Reasons why Virtual Reality will fail in 2016. Keep in mind that much like the six main characters of MLP: FIM, this list is not perfect. If you're the guy that loves VR, then good for you-stay you, because you're the best you can be. However I'm trying to convince new consumers to think twice before blindly climbing aboard the Hype Train, and see just how bad VR could actually be.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed reading this list as much as I enjoyed writing it. See you next time! Big Grin
I don't usually watch shows for little girls, but when I do, it's My Little Pony.Cool
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Neon's Top 5: Why VR Will Fail - by Neon Streak - 01-05-2016, 12:15 PM
RE: Neon's Top 5: Why VR Will Fail - by [robo9] - 01-05-2016, 01:20 PM
RE: Neon's Top 5: Why VR Will Fail - by Gors - 01-05-2016, 01:32 PM
RE: Neon's Top 5: Why VR Will Fail - by puggsoy - 01-06-2016, 12:16 AM
RE: Neon's Top 5: Why VR Will Fail - by Kosheh - 01-06-2016, 08:22 AM
RE: Neon's Top 5: Why VR Will Fail - by DioShiba - 01-06-2016, 09:30 AM