Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
How do I use models from here in Blender?
Question 
Now before my question, this is what I have done so far:

-YES: I have googled several things, but results kept turning up the same answer of how to import Garry's Mod models into SFM, or how to open files in general in Blender, and nothing was helpful.

-YES: I did read the website FAQ, unfortunately the answer was very vague, as in it covered everything by telling me to "google it" and of course that already didn't help as stated above.

-YES: I "tinkered with it", by trying to use Blender to open the files, but none of the files actually show up in the file browser window.

-End of List-

My question:

Being the impulsive and excited newbie to SFM, Blender, and making posters and short films, I went through the VG Model site as well as one or two others that I found, and downloaded a bunch of various models from different games like I was on a shopping spree.

Now when I unzipped them and opened the folders like a kid on Christmas day, I found unfamiliar filetypes like ".mtl", ".smd", ".rda", ".skp", and ".obj" staring back at me.

I know what to do with resources that I find on SFM-specific websites and the Steam Workshop, you usually just drag and dump the files into the usermod folder after unzipping them, but I have no clue how to use the files I found here at all. So it left me confused and frustrated.

So how does one use filetypes like ".mtl", ".smd", ".rda", ".skp" and ".obj" in SFM or Blender?

I have a lot of new toys and I have no idea how to play with them yet.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
How do I use models from here in Blender? - by Nidonemo - 01-05-2016, 11:32 AM