Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
SUPER SMASH BROS. FEUD - BIG update in latest post.
"It's been a long time, King Vegeta!" ~King Cold

In all seriousness, hi! The game is still in very active development! Since this pandemic started I've been working on it non stop!! For now I don't have anything "tangible" to show, but rest assured I've been slaving away.

I now finally have first jumps completely under control. Short hops and full first jumps are 100% possible. I have most of my FeudCMD moveset format figured out and implemented (I am considering just renaming it "AnimCMD" like the originals) and I am also currently starting work on particle effect implementation! Actual attack collisions come last!

I have rewritten my system for fighters again, this time I've separated most of the code into "modules". One for physics and collision detection, one for movement, one for input, one for external assets (such as portraits, sound effects, etc), one for particles, one for AI, one for attacking and the CMD interpreter. The base class, Player, now only holds basic functionality like turning metal, differentiating between player-controlled and AI-controlled, and switching to Final Smash mode.

The way I have written these modules makes it so that they can work with any character / object and not just fighters: Items, Assist Trophies, enemies, etc. It also helps to dramatically separate functions and the like to avoid having one massive, labyrinthine code file with tens of thousands of lines of code.

Next up, I have written a brand new set of shaders that handles Super Smash Bros. Ultimate-styled models and their texture maps. Which now means I can gradually encase fighters in metal, rather than doing a quick "switcheroo". It also handles the set of PBR maps found in "PRM" textures and uses them, as well as cavity maps found in the normal maps. Non-fighter characters have the same thing, but without the material blending features. I also have an Eye Iris shader that can switch between regular and "Golden" / Final Smash irises using a simple checkbox.

Also! Nope, I'm not done yet! Camera work has started! I have a camera set up to follow the number of fighters on stage properly, and can dynamically change its focus as fighters are added/removed when KOd, etc. I am also able to add other followable objects like enemies and assists.

The fighter roster, I'd say, is now 90% finalized. There's still room for some shuffling around and additions/cuts. I WOULD like to look at implementing Mii Gunner / Brawler / Swordfighter into the roster, using a custom Mii Maker in the game. For now they're cut, but I will definitely consider whether I want to / can do that.

Another thing I want to perhaps look at is online multiplayer. For now I'm focusing on the actual game to make sure it works, so I'll look at it later. 4-player local multi is already possible.

Finally, another idea I'm looking at is taking animation functionality away from Animator Controllers and figure out a way to load animation banks via Scriptable Objects, and dynamically take individual clips and play them back as I need them using a new Motion module.

So for now, this is all I'll write, and I will work on keeping this thread updated a little more regularly. lol. Take care!!
I'm an opera-crossover singer undergoing classical voice training and I'm also making Super Smash Bros. Feud.

Discord: kold_virus
Thanked by: iyenal

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUPER SMASH BROS. FEUD fangame. - by iyenal - 02-28-2018, 04:26 AM
RE: SUPER SMASH BROS. FEUD fangame. - by iyenal - 03-01-2018, 05:05 AM
RE: SUPER SMASH BROS. FEUD fangame. - by iyenal - 03-02-2018, 10:50 AM
RE: SUPER SMASH BROS. FEUD - BIG update in latest post. - by Kold-Virus - 05-18-2020, 02:41 PM