Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Tropical Freeze Textures: the TXTR format. RTB and Parax pretty much figured it out.
Hey! Just for the record, my pak unpacking tool PakTool, which Tabuu mentioned, already has the ability to decompress the TXTR files at unpack time. Use the -e option when unpacking. It will also decompress all the models and shaders with that option on. All this stuff is described in the readme.

I can give you guys the info I've got on TXTR's META section so far if you want, but I'm not sure that section is useful after the image data is decompressed. The META sections are normally integrated into the pak format, and PakTool appends it to the end of the file when you extract without decompressing.

MaterialArchive.arc is irrelevant and I'm fairly sure it's unused - it contains a bunch of compiled HLSL shaders which I believe is a leftover from a DX11 build of the game that Retro used during development. The shaders the game actually uses are in the MTRL files in the paks, which are compressed with zlib (PakTool can decompress them as well).

I'd love to see the TXTR format cracked properly (not using SDK tools) since that's the main thing that's prevented me from doing more work with Tropical Freeze's files. The TXTR format from Retro's prior games were basically the usual GX texture formats in a custom container, and I assume the new TXTR format is the same concept but with GX2 formats instead.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tropical Freeze Textures: the TXTR format. Might ALMOST be cracked! - by Parax - 12-23-2015, 06:50 PM