Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
(Lack Of)Female Enemies in Video Games
First off, I apologize if anyone on this site started a discussion similar to this one, but I wanted to get this out of my system because it's been bugging me for a while.

Have you noticed that a lot of video games seem to be lacking in female enemies? It seems that in the world of gaming, bad girls are usually taking the role of bosses or NPCs, but not random mooks the hero can take out on the spot. When they do appear as standard enemies, they're always portrayed as dominatrices or hookers; this is particularly true in beat-em-ups, such as Double Dragon and Streets of Rage. Meanwhile, male enemies are portrayed as bikers, pirates, soldiers, 1930's gangsters, and more.

Even modern-day games have fallen victim to this gaming-gender issue. For example, in Batman: Arkham City, we have the Caped Crusader beating the shit out of countless male convicts, but the only female goons he takes out are ninjas (Which doesn't really make sense to me from a realistic standpoint; I don't recall any female ninjas in Japanese history.). Do you mean to tell me that Arkham Asylum doesn't house female convicts, save for Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn?

Hell! In The Last of Us, the only female enemies you ever encounter in the game are zombies, which-if you think about it-is really sad. You'd think that in a post-apocalyptic setting, standard gender roles would be demolished...unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case.

So long story short, why do most video games have no female enemies? Sad
I don't usually watch shows for little girls, but when I do, it's My Little Pony.Cool
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
(Lack Of)Female Enemies in Video Games - by Neon Streak - 12-02-2015, 11:58 PM