Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
NintenTools - .NET library for BFRES / SZS / other stuff
Hey there!

I thought some might be interested in my dull programming project I mostly do out of boredom.
It's a stupid .NET library which should eventually be capable to load several typical Nintendo file formats into object-oriented structures - and eventually store modified instances of it.

My current main target is to create a command-line based tool to export SZS/BFRES into OBJ/MTL (and DAE later) with just one command, and to get rid of any dependencies to 3D software.
To emphasize diversity of the library, I am also interested to replace BrawlBox to create BRSTM/BFSTM music files far later on.

Why am I doing this?
Mostly to learn about how model files are structured and help me developing my own some day later (for a 3D engine I'm writing in the other part of the time I don't have xD).
Also because I was overwhelmed of RandomTalkingBush's effort for the MAXScript importing BFRES files into 3DS Max (thanks for that!)... and because I had issues exporting some models into Blender to work with them there (some models get their skeleton crushed in a DAE export...).

You can find the library - totally open source and licensed under WTFPL - on GitHub: https://github.com/Vibeware/NintenTools
There is no wiki documentation yet, of which I am mostly ashamed (since, for example, the BFRES structure for example can get quite complex), but the code is fully commented, and example programs are under development.
Of course, everyone can contribute, but I'd like to coordinate any pushes to the main branch (I wrote some details about that in the Readme).

Tell me what you think about it, I am prepared for the most horrible criticism of all time... x3

Messages In This Thread
NintenTools - .NET library for BFRES / SZS / other stuff - by Ray Koopa - 10-04-2015, 03:37 PM