Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
eight sprite-a-bit
Sry for the late response, today's been quite overwhelming

(07-02-2015, 12:19 PM)Venomrabbit Wrote: I think Cytric has it particularly close, like almost exact. Though I'd argue to take the right sprite, move the head forward a bit and then move it and the shoulders down. After all, Steven's a pretty squat fellow.

Speaking of, lucky for you SU's one of those shows that have a lot of publicly available development art.

Like so

(bit of a big image plus they had another thing in it too so put it in a spoiler)

So yeah, there's a lot of model sheets like this. If you've got a program like gimp/photoshop/sai I'd recommend having things like these model sheets to the side while working on a sprite, use it as a reference while you work!

But it's still quite a good start and I don't see anything wrong with the colour choices! I'm not exactly an expert so maybe my thoughts aren't entirely valid. If you're going for exact show style, just generally follow the available model sheets and you should be fine.

Best of luck with this, it should turn out great!

I honestly didn't notice you responded while I was working on the sprite, but I read it abt half-way through.

I didn't really think of using a model sheet as reference ((I as more or less going off by memory because of how much Steven Universe I've been exposed to)), but I'll keep that in mind ! I also do have access to each of those programs but I can't download Gimp and I almost always have no access to my thumbdrive ((I have Sai and Photoshop on it)). Plus, I barely know how to use Photoshop and I heard Gimp isn't really good for spriting. I'd rather just stick with good ol' Paint and switch back and forth between my work and a modelsheet

As for Steven and his head, by the time I read your post it looked like of weird moving his head forward just a pixel.

(07-02-2015, 12:38 AM)Cytric Acid Wrote: You're getting there! he's still much too tall and his arms are still very stiff. I did some quick edits to show what i mean:
[Image: 12W98EQ.png] first edit is just moving around some parts for a better proportion. second edit is more refinement in kind of my own style so you can take what you'd like from that, first of all I made him less barrel chested and more chubby and round. i also tweaked the lineart to be more consistent on the arms. i like the color choices a lot more now, but i feel like the darker skin tone is a bit too bright and orange. otherwise, it's a lot better!

i'd actually say you can get away without shading the eyes in this style. the fingers on the tiger millionaire edit look nice too, his fingers aren't as long and fit the style more.

lastly, his sandals are kind of hard to make out right now, they're too similar in color to his skin tone and make him look like he's barefoot.

also, lastly, i think you can get away with just drawing his big toe and not bothering with the rest of the toes, the sprite is too small for that kind of detail. you're doing well though, can't wait to see the rest!

Ya, in hindsight, he was way too tall for the cute little short, chubby child he is. ((Im also sincerely glad there's no pure black in this sprite))

I tried to make the red on his sandals and his shirt just a tad darker but no so dark it makes a huge impact on how the sprite looks. I also got rid of his toes and nostrils and tried to follow the other things you suggested. ((Idk why but to me it feels rly weird not having his left shoulder there)) I also tried to fix the darker skin tone and make it less orange and made him shorter.

[Image: aqPMehs.png]
I also tried to make his fingers less slender and long without making it look like his hands were in a fist ((Tiger Mill's hands were in fists))
Sᴇᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴍʏ ᴇʏᴇs: A ᴜɴɪᴠᴇʀsᴇ sᴏ ᴠᴀsᴛ ᴀs ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ɪᴍᴍᴇᴀsᴜʀᴀʙʟᴇ - ɪɴᴄᴏᴍᴘʀᴇʜᴇɴsɪʙʟᴇ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜʀ ɢʀᴇᴀᴛᴇsᴛ ᴍɪɴᴅs.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
eight sprite-a-bit - by shrubbyfrog - 06-30-2015, 12:08 PM
RE: Steven's Party o' Sprites ((Need Critiques)) - by shrubbyfrog - 07-02-2015, 04:35 PM
RE: eight sprite-a-bit - by shrubbyfrog - 08-01-2021, 12:50 AM
RE: eight sprite-a-bit - by shrubbyfrog - 02-26-2024, 01:07 AM