Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Creating a Language, how hard can it be?
so exactly what it says on the tin, I would like to try and invent a language in the interest of an engaging game universe of which I've been theory crafting for a while but have yet to write up (which I should probably do before I forget characters names, families and so on)
I do not understand as much about linguistics as I should for attempting this so forgive amatuerity and by all means if you wish to feel free to engage in the crafting of the language, it'd be a great help.
Now to my understanding the base of a language should be the means of its writing and or speaking, its syntax in using and its alphabet, for which I have an idea but not much to go on.
I'll begin with its alphabet, inspired by a very lack-luster knowledge of romanized eastern languages and a hint of inspiration of compound wording from german, I propose an alphabet consisting of tiny words with a suggested but not always intended meaning, depending on the context, I'll throw together some here as an example, hpefully we can refine it to make more sense over time,
With this in mind I think the language should have an emphasis on Names as means of giving context, you could accidentally say something is to drive crazy, but mention by name a vehicle and in doing so make the same words carry a meaning of to drive unsafely, etc.
Code:
Writing (romanized sounding) - Isolated meaning - Grouped implications
Ci (see) - Light - to be large or powerful or righteous, good or more literally of Light
Tau (tow) - Hand - assisting, involved, physically or figuratively part of something
Bu (boo) - Home - to belong, be part of, to have built or to be harbouring
Utc (oots) - End - to finish, to kill, to leave in darkness or forsaken 
So this is just an example I expect a better understanding of the language will result in a better vocabulary, but a few example words to show my meaning,
Code:
Writing (romanized sounding) - literal meaning - interpreted meaning - name
Cibutau (see-boo-tow) - the great help of the home - the strong support of the home - a home guard
Ciutc (see-oots) - the lights end - a righteous end - a martyr
Untcbu (oot-boo) - to kill home - to betray - a traitor
a bit of context to the city in which this takes place wouldn't hurt I suppose, its not completely necessary but if you think it'll help feel free to read it, also apologies in advanced, I need to work on my writing skills, I can think up a story fine but writing it down isnt my strong suit.
Thank you for reading, hope we can have fun with this,
Bombshell
Thanked by: psychospacecow

Messages In This Thread
Creating a Language, how hard can it be? - by Bombshell93 - 06-27-2015, 09:12 PM