Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
The Jam Engine - and the tiny prototypes that help me build it
apologies for this but I'm changing the thread slightly, I've hit a wall in terms of the FPS due to shortcomings of my engine, I'm fixing these but they will essentially null and void the game in hand, but as a result the engine will be more versatile which was my original goal anyway,
expect a post again when I have a more solid prototype to show off
EDIT: problem has been fixed and I've started work on a larger scope FPS probably ditch the retro feel for a planet explorer,
I'm just working on the planet generator now, the planet is split into,
+X+Y+Z / -X+Y+Z / +X-Y+Z / -X-Y+Z / +X+Y-Z / -X+Y-Z / +X-Y-Z / -X-Y-Z for now represented by each by a LoD subdividing triangle,
these will form the base of the planet and provide the necessary coordinates used for mapping terrain detail,
I'd like some kind of concave terrain but how that will be achieved I've yet to devise.

EDIT: so I got the planets displaying and the mapping should be simple enough, but I've figured I'd take an easier route and have uniform Level of Detail on planets and have it so when you land you actually exit the play space of the solar system and enter the play space of the planet, that said I intend for planet simulation to continue and for them to effect the skybox accordingly, I additionally will have where you enter a planet to be where you enter and where you exit to be where you exit.
I'm going to be working on the physics engine for the sake of the planet simulation as well as some mapping and planet generation and ofc sun and lighting, by time I return there should be ship flying controls and my goal for this as a prototype will be to enter a planets play space, fly around the surface of a planet and land and explore on foot, the planets may not be all that exciting but this should be a nice goal
Thanked by: ivan.vinski

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Jam Engine - and the tiny prototypes that help me build it - by Bombshell93 - 06-30-2015, 08:26 AM