Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Extracting some .dat and .bin files, help
(05-17-2015, 04:56 AM)puggsoy Wrote: I'm curious, how do convert those extracted files?

For the nwc24_letter files, you do the following:

1. You, of course extract them with the QuickBMS script you gave me, and you'll get the output files.
  2. Those output files need to be extracted with a U8 archive extractor. I use the "wszst" tool included in Wiimms SZS Tools, a CLI interface tool. Use "wszst EXTRACT <path to U8 archive.>" to extract it.
  3. Next, you'll get a folder with two files we need, thumbnail_LZ.bin and letter_LZ.bin.
  4. We need to extract the LZ files with gbalzss, another CLI interface tool. Use "gbalzss d <input file> <output file>" to decrypt both of them.
  5. We will need to use "wszst" fromĀ Wiimms SZS Tools again with the decrypted LZ file. Again, you need to use "wszst EXTRACT <path to decrypted LZ file.>" to extract it.
  6. Now we need to convert the TPL files in the U8 archive with the "wimgt" included in Wiimms SZS Tools. Use "wimgt DECODE <path to TPL files.>" to convert the TPLs to PNGs.
  7. Everything will look fine now, but there's one more step for the letter_LZ.bin files. We need to place all of the TPL files in the archive into a new transparent canvas that's 1024x752, obviously where they fit like a puzzle. When you did that, you need to resize your photo to 512x376. (Some pictures show tiny borders that aren't seen when resized.)

Here's an example of what you will end up with:

[Image: Calling%202.png]

[Image: Calling%202.png]

Or you can see all of the letters and envelope icons here.

I haven't tried the other files though, but looked at a decrypted one from Mario Party 6 (they use the same compression) in a hex editor and it looks like it's similar to the files in TV Friend Channel maybe.

Have you found out what the TV Friend Channel uses though? People ripped models like Mario Party 8 with some 3D ripping software but I don't want to have to do that for TV Friend Channel.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Extracting some .dat and .bin files, help - by larsenv - 05-17-2015, 01:03 PM