Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: Feel the "character" of games have gone down?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Strongly Agree
25.00%
2 25.00%
Agree
25.00%
2 25.00%
Neutral
12.50%
1 12.50%
Disagree
25.00%
2 25.00%
Strongly Disagree
12.50%
1 12.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Feel the "Character" of Games Have Gone Down?
(05-07-2015, 01:57 PM)Koh Wrote: since there are no limitations on sound, all the soundtracks sort of bleed together with the same high quality instruments and such.

This is something that's been bumming me out lately. A lot of older game music has a much more interesting texture to it, if that makes sense to say.

Even Nintendo has been trending towards traditional instruments, and I find it kinda boring. On the flipside, the indies' beloved chiptunes are okay, but they're not the most interesting music either.

I think a lot of games benefit from having music that accentuates how quirky they are. Sometimes you don't want an adventure that makes you feel like you're a defined action hero; sometimes you want an adventure that's actually wondrous, y'know? When a game seems so conscious and predictable, it's like,"yeah, tons of guys in offices made this game," and that doesn't always draw me in. I think sometimes it's better to be vague or dreamlike, and imperfect sounding instruments can be helpful towards achieving that.
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]
Thanked by: Shade, Koh, recme, Vipershark

Messages In This Thread
RE: Feel the "Character" of Games Have Gone Down? - by StarSock64 - 05-09-2015, 09:39 PM