Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Time RPG Engine
I've been creating an RPG engine that incorporates time in a way few games have.  I'd like to say no game has done it, but I'm sure there has to be some out there.

While the engine is not complete, I thought I'd share the current progress.  The main feature on display is the constantly flowing time.  One of the major pieces is character change through aging.  Character stats and graphics can be altered from year to year.  All of it is customized through the game creator application.  The idea is to reduce the amount of experience grinding needed.  There will be support for characters becoming too old to adventure.  A year or two before a character's max age, they will hint that they don't have much longer.  Eventually, a character could die.  On the flip side, a new character could become available because they are of fighting age after several years.

The other major time element will be events that are triggered through time.  The main evil boss isn't sitting around waiting for you to show up.  They have plans that they are trying to accomplish.  For example, a dragon may be released after 5-10 years that goes around destroying towns every few months.  These events would cause a permanent change to the world.  A player would no longer be able to access those areas.  New areas could also be opened up over time.

Time passage is per second of real time.  The two modes available currently are minute and hour of game time.

The calendar is customizable.  The calendar of this game is one month with 4 days to keep the demo short.  This game example shows a chicken from egg to chick to chicken over 3 years.  This example also shows a cave opening after a few days and a sapling growing into a large tree over 4 years.

The demo isn't a representation of the game I'm going to be working on once the engine is complete.  It is mostly just a little example.  The graphics were created by me, so they're pretty terrible.

I'm also working on a game creator along side this engine.  This will be the primary location to create and alter RPGs.  The example was made entirely using the game creator (graphics and sound created outside and imported into the creator).  However, I can't release a demo of it as it isn't user friendly.

You can download the current progress at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2xELTn...9QSWs/view.  There is a README as well as a DOCX that have control information.  Both contain much of the same information here, but the DOCX provides more than the README.

Here are the current features of the game engine (may not be final version of the feature):
Progressive time
-Character aging
-Events executed based on time
Map
-Transition from one map to another
-Vertical and horizontal looping
-Three layers (behind hero, same level as hero, and in front of hero)
Party screen
-Inventory screen
-Equipment screen
-Status screen
Combat (currently accessed through Options in Party screen)
-Basic combat for Hero and Enemy
-Experience and Gold reward
Events
-Multiple sub events fired for one event
-Sound
-Dialog
-Giving item to party
-Changing map
NPC
UI Navigation
UI content dynamic to position of UI pieces
Xbox 360 Controller support