Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Using "Free" Sprites in Commercial Games
(12-15-2014, 05:32 AM)puggsoy Wrote: Personally, as a player, it wouldn't matter at all. If the sprites work, they fit in how they should, animate smoothly and so on, I wouldn't really care whether they were made specifically for the game or not. Integrally, it shouldn't matter if they work just as well.

However, as a developer myself, I would advise against it. Using premade sprites that were not made for your needs specifically means you will not have the all the sprites you need. It's very unlikely that there is a complete set of art assets that contain all you need for your game, in the quality and style you want. You'll be changing your game to fit the sprites, which isn't what game design is about.
I mean, they might be great sprites, and they're certainly useful as placeholders, or maybe for a smaller project (a Flash game or maybe a small mobile app). You sound like you're making a full-blown, fairly large game though. Not having sprites made to your needs is, in my opinion, not a great choice. It's doable, but your game would likely suffer from it.

In addition, I can say that it would be an immense task to try and make this game on your own. Again, it's possible, but it would take a lot of time and effort, especially if this is the first game you've ever made. Having more people for things like art and music would make it easier for you and surely improve the quality of your game.

These are all suggestions. It's your project, and I definitely hope you do well whatever choices you make. This is just stuff that I know from my experience and observations on game development, and I'd encourage you to consider them.

I'm not making a huge game. This is my first real project, it's best not to be too ambitious here. So far I am happy with the sprites I have, they don't seem like placeholders. I have one other helping me out, but so far I haven't really formed a team because I don't have too much to show. I wanted to impress people with what I have instead of telling them what I want. So they can make a decision on their own to join me or not. They are good suggestion, but I don't know if I can replicate what I have on my own.
Loading... 2014 Game Industry == Cry
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using "Free" Sprites in Commercial Games - by Cold Spike - 12-15-2014, 02:59 PM