Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Using "Free" Sprites in Commercial Games
Question 
So, I've been developing my game for the last five months or so. Overtime I've learned quite a bit about programming, it's GML so more related to the syntax of Java than anything, but it's something! Which is more than I can say before this. The most programming I had ever did was drag and drop stuff way back when Gamemaker Studio was Gamemaker 6. It's funny looking back, I kept telling myself that this is the perfect solution and I'll never have to learn how to write code.  Blank

Of course, had I known how easy it was to learn code I would have just tried to learn that. Coding isn't always easy and I'm still way behind since I often use if statements and timers more than anything, but so far I haven't ran into too many issues.

Anyway, before this becomes a rant let me just ask what I wanted to. I've been building a 2D Platformer for a while now, it started off as a Metroidvania like game, however I'm not sure if I can do a project like this considering it's just me so far. I've had to make a few compromises with what I want, this includes art. I'm not much of an artist (I used to 3D model, but that didn't 'take'). For most of my project I've been using free sprites that are either public domain or licensed under creative common. I've altered them and learned a bit, but most of my time (lately) is used building the levels and programming in new ideas. It's far more convenient to simply look up what I want, make sure the licenses is proper for commercial projects and then I can use or alter it for my game.

Anyone who wants to make a game all strive to be better programmers, artists, sound designers etc... I was just wondering does anyone here think using other sprites, instead of designing my own custom ones would be, eventually, holding myself back? Is it too unprofessional, or is it fine? Making this game has been a hugely time consuming process and I feel if I took the time to learn sprite art then my game might never be finished. I guess my overall question would be: Is this a good idea? Each sprite I use, by the way, would be credited with a link to their license. I'm more asking peoples opinions, would it bother you if you played a game that didn't use custom sprites?
Loading... 2014 Game Industry == Cry
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Using "Free" Sprites in Commercial Games - by Cold Spike - 12-15-2014, 03:09 AM