Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
DragonBlossom: The RETURN
Do loops like this actually serve a purpose? Honestly, they were impressive for the first Sonic game to showcase their physics, but other than that, it's totally worthless; just something that makes the player have to stop moving for a second to watch their character run a loop, then continue progressing through the level...

Actually, a thought just popped into my head, and I ended up rebutting myself. The loops DO serve a purpose: in 2D Sonic games, taking the high road was usually harder, but was rewarding by giving the player flatter terrain to traverse, and thus cut down how much time it took to complete a level, while loops, for the most part, were kept on lower paths. While it doesn't explain loops on single-path levels, it does at least give them some meaning.

So now I'm curious; does your game ask players to beat levels in as short a time as possible? Cuz if so, loops make a fitting punishment for players who fail to stay on the shorter paths.

Man, sometimes I drive myself crazy when I ask a question and then immediately come up with an answer after I've said/typed it. :/

[EDIT]
Looking at that screenshot again, I noticed a red marker on the loop. I'm guessing this marker changes which tile layer the player can collide with depending on which direction they're moving when they hit it, right? That's the only reason I can think to have a big red block sitting there.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
DragonBlossom: The RETURN - by Arkenova - 12-11-2014, 09:48 PM
RE: DragonBlossom: The RETURN - by Arkenova - 12-13-2014, 09:38 AM
RE: DragonBlossom: The RETURN - by Cold Spike - 12-14-2014, 01:53 AM
RE: DragonBlossom: The RETURN - by Arkenova - 12-23-2014, 10:25 AM
RE: DragonBlossom: The RETURN - by Kelvin - 12-23-2014, 08:45 PM
RE: DragonBlossom: The RETURN - by Arkenova - 12-25-2014, 01:45 PM
RE: DragonBlossom: The RETURN - by Ithinkitskevin - 02-08-2015, 08:26 PM
RE: DragonBlossom: The RETURN - by Arkenova - 03-10-2015, 11:15 AM