Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Gaming mods?
If you people have done mods to your consoles, peripherals, games (i.e. hacks), et al and/or had somebody do mods for you, talk about 'em here!
  • RGB-modded Nintendo 64: the N64 can only natively output composite video and S-video. S-vid's not a bad signal, but I don't have an S-vid input on my TV. I could feasibly get a converter for S-vid, but I feel like I'm getting more of my money's worth getting a SCART>HDMI converter since RGB-SCART is a better signal and have other consoles with SCART cables. That said, my N64 games look phenomenal now, especially 2D games. I now prefer how games look through an actual N64 over emulation (PC or Virtual Console). Also I put the modded console into an Ice Blue shell since normally the RGB-moddable N64s are only black-shelled consoles.
  • RGB-modded SNES Mini: the regular SNES could natively output S-vid and RGB, but not the Mini. The advantage here, however, is that the RGB video from a SNES Mini/Jr is far superior to any model revision of the original SNES/Super Famicom. Yoshi's Island is fucking gorgeous from a modded SNES Mini. Big Grin
  • VGA Cable for Gamecube: it seems like a waste of a rare GCN D-Terminal cable, especially for a relatively small boost in image quality from component video, but hell: I happened upon a broken D-Terminal cable for pretty damn cheap and I already had a spare working D-Terminal cable, so I figured I'd get the most outta the broken cable... yes, I'm a bit of a stickler for image quality. Pick up on that yet? Wink
  • LodgeNet N64 Controller: a bit of a misleading name. Essentially, it's a regular N64 controller but with the OEM stick replaced with the badass GCN-style sticks from the LodgeNet hotel controllers. It works beautifully, it's sturdier than the OEM N64 stick, and best of all it's a far cheaper prospect than a used Hori Mini Pad at the moment. I could've stuck with the LodgeNet shell but there's no opening for a Rumble Pak/Memory Card... plus my black/red controller shell combo looks badassed.
(For anybody else interested in pursuing optimal video options for their older games, check out this site to get started.)
Offending people is a necessary and healthy act... Every time you say something that's offensive to another person, you just caused a discussion. You just forced them to have to think. - Louis C.K.
Thanked by: psychospacecow

Messages In This Thread
Gaming mods? - by BullockDS - 09-19-2014, 04:45 PM
RE: Gaming mods? - by psychospacecow - 09-21-2014, 08:05 PM
RE: Gaming mods? - by E-Man - 09-21-2014, 08:35 PM
RE: Gaming mods? - by Helmo - 09-21-2014, 10:03 PM
RE: Gaming mods? - by BullockDS - 09-22-2014, 07:20 AM
RE: Gaming mods? - by Kosheh - 09-22-2014, 09:42 AM
RE: Gaming mods? - by BullockDS - 09-22-2014, 10:00 AM
RE: Gaming mods? - by Helmo - 09-22-2014, 12:44 PM
RE: Gaming mods? - by BullockDS - 09-22-2014, 01:07 PM