Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: What size should the tiles be?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
16x16 (ready to use: means less work for the person who's using it, but more sprites would be made)
66.67%
2 66.67%
8x8 (orignal format on the game: more work for the person who uses it, but less sprites would be on the sheets)
33.33%
1 33.33%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Zelda: The Minish Cap Tile Ripping Proyect
Well, I must apologize. SGMs nametables can be spoofed to overwrite the level data to display all the tiles instead of the original area's tiles.. BUT, turns out that Minish Cap has really really many tiles. I don't know if the classic screenshot method is viable here anymore, but this will surely help, despite probably needing a programmer.

First off, go to the area you want the tilesets from. Then, make a save state (SGM).
Decompress the SGM and head over to 0x35493. You'll see a bunch of bytes; eight bytes make one 16x16 block, and two bytes makes one 8x8 tile and they're read tile ↖, tile ↗, tile ↙, tile ↘.
You must read 0x4000 bytes, so you get all the 0x800 16x16 blocks of the tileset.

The two-byte combos are read like this:
[Image: z1ljOz0.png]
You get the palettes from 0x1FC7F, it's $200 bytes and it's BGR 555.

And the graphics are read from 0x485DF, it's $C000 bytes, 4bpp linear, reverse order.

I've never played the game so I don't know too much about it, but with this method, someone will be able to create a program that takes decompressed SGM as input and spews out full tilesets of the area in question.

Note: There are probably many many areas with unique tilesets in the game, so you'll need a separate SGM from each area.

Also, the SGM decompression is just like uh, rename the .SGM to .gzip and open it in your un-gzipper of choice.
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by: Garamonde, Shade, puggsoy, Miles07

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zelda: The Minish Cap Tile Ripping Proyect - by Raccoon Sam - 09-05-2014, 10:14 AM