Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
(Fan game) Sonic the Hedgehog - Nintendo Edition (Early WIP)
Just correcting Vipershark right now: The game boy uses 2 pulse wave generatos, 1 custom wave generator and 1 noise generator. This means, the bass doesn't need to be locked to trangle waves, and you can create your own waveform to make music. Some games even inserted low resolution samples in it (such as Pokemon Yellow's title theme), but usually, it's just used for musical purposes instead of samples.

The most common mistake when people try making chiptunes is pretending that all notes are 50% square waves. While this is true for the PSG (Master System, MSX, Game Gear), this is not the same for the NES and Game Boy, which could manipulate their pulses to have different timbres.

Gameboy

As you can see, there are other types of square waves embellishing the tune, particularly the bass notes.

Game Gear

Whereas Game Gear only relies on 50% square waves. The music is good, but the lack of variation can be grating (especially when you listen to the track for a long period of time).
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: (Fan game) Sonic the Hedgehog - Nintendo Edition (Early WIP) - by Gors - 08-02-2014, 05:30 PM