Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
What Are You Watching? |Special Edition|
(03-29-2015, 12:33 AM)psychospacecow Wrote: I could be mistaken, but basing it off that art, they seem to have done the opposite of whitewashing. Those just look like ambiguous asian/and or white characters.
Edit: I mean, Honey Lemon is latina, Wasabi's black, Baymax is now a balloon which is totally a race, Considering their city is called San Fransokyo, it seems to mask sense that it'd be an amalgam of Japan and America.

Well, yeah using it literally in the sense you're thinking of, they didn't that's for sure. Then the movie would've seriously tanked, and Disney would've been in hot water for Americanizing a bunch of characters of Asian descent. Sure - they could've carbon-copied the cast from the comic, but it probably would've ended up alienating its intended audience, and felt more like a CGI anime (which I guess would've still been cool, but doesn't translate well to a Disney audience)

It's been "Disneyfied" - the cast was diversified to appeal to a broader demographic; Baymax was Disneyfied, and they had to make up San Fransokyo so the Disneyfied cast would've made sense.
The movie doesn't resemble the original comic in the slightest - and quite frankly, I think I'm actually OK with that, 'cos I honestly don't see the original comic being that appealing (fyi, the original one was made as Marvel's attempt to get into manga)

I'm kinda curious what fans of the original comic thought of the movie, honestly. :V
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: Tellis

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Are You Watching? |Special Edition| - by Kosheh - 03-29-2015, 09:11 AM