Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
What Are You Watching? |Special Edition|
(03-28-2015, 06:14 PM)Kosheh Wrote:
(03-28-2015, 03:06 PM)Lemonray Wrote: The weeb is strong with this one.

eh I didn't know actually wanting casting choices to remain consistent is weeaboo, but OK.

I don't want the main characters flashing peace signs and peppering their conversations with basic Japanese, girls busting through doors shouting "KONNICHIWA MINNASAN oh Hiro your misutaa roboto is so KAWAII DESU" or anything. But if they can't properly explain why the aunt of two Japanese children has a Japanese last name (hence she's from the father's side of the family), covers her house in Japanese shit, but isn't Japanese...I feel like the movie's being weebier than me at this point.

I mean sure, the character serves the role they're meant to play: the single caretaker of two boys, and the movie's scripting/scenario does a great job at portraying it. There's enough suspension of disbelief throughout the movie that you don't really question it while watching the film, and I didn't realize it honestly until afterward. But in hindsight, there's like a crater of a plothole here.
Of course no one's gonna think hard about it, but...yeah, what the heck.

On weebiness though:
I think the original comic, though is far more weebier.
[Image: a1D5e5O.jpg]
Disney sorta whitewashed everything about this film to appeal to a broader audience stateside, I guess; the characters barely resemble the original comic, honestly - but that might be a good thing because the original comic's characters and setting seem a lot more bland in comparison now. :/

I could be mistaken, but basing it off that art, they seem to have done the opposite of whitewashing. Those just look like ambiguous asian/and or white characters.
Edit: I mean, Honey Lemon is latina, Wasabi's black, Baymax is now a balloon which is totally a race, Considering their city is called San Fransokyo, it seems to mask sense that it'd be an amalgam of Japan and America.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Are You Watching? |Special Edition| - by psychospacecow - 03-29-2015, 12:33 AM