Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Just pixels.
So at first I was really, REALLY hesitant about posting these, which is pretty much the reason they haven't gone much further than my DeviantART account. The reason in being so hesitant about posting these up for crits is because, well... they're pretty blatant traces. Which tends to be frowned upon. Another reason is because I'm too hard on myself.

But I do enjoy making these for fun when I'm "in the mood." Also perhaps others could use these for...well, for whatever reason(s) they wish, I suppose.

These are ones that I had finished quite a while ago; I made these to both emulate the original sprites they were based on, as well as the proportions and whatnot of their official artwork (Sugi and anime). The colors are used from the official sprites traced from, along with the ways in which the colors are used. On some of them I edited the contrast just a little bit in order to look better for the larger size.

If you guys don't mind, I'd really like whatever crits I can get. Whichever ones you'd like to, really. I know I'll never end up finishing these for all the BW sprites, but at the very least I'd like for these to be something that people can use; and at that, I'd like for them to be high-quality. So here's pretty much a few that I feel are my best ones, so I can get some objective eyes, here. :>

I'll post up, for comparison, the Pokemon's official Sugimori artwork on the left of the "HD" sprite and the original sprite on the right.

[Image: 250px-636Larvesta.png] [Image: hi_res_bw_larvesta_by_speedxaaa-d6sg2mu.png][Image: Spr_5b_636.png]

[Image: 335Zangoose.png] [Image: hi_res_hgss_zangoose_by_speedxaaa-d5v3akk.png] [Image: Spr_4d_335.png]

[Image: 250px-334Altaria.png] [Image: hi_res_bw_altaria_by_speedxaaa-d5v39kq.png] [Image: Spr_5b_334.png]

[Image: 250px-571Zoroark.png] [Image: hi_res_bw_zoroark_by_speedxaaa-d5v39wv.png] [Image: Spr_5b_571.png]

[Image: 250px-395Empoleon.png] [Image: hi_res_pt_empoleon_by_speedxaaa-d5v3alu.png] [Image: Spr_4p_395.png]

I'm sure there's a lot of things to still be touched-up upon, so any input is, of course, always appreciated. Some things I'm starting to notice upon actually comparing these with the official artwork is that maybe I only really took the appearance of the original sprite into consideration instead of also considering how they look in their official artwork.... To be honest I'm starting to see more errors as I compare them to their Sugi counterparts. Ouch! I dunno, what do you guys think? Should they stay more true to their official sprites or a little bit moreso towards the official, full-sized artwork? I think I'm just worried about making these look too much like Sugi art traces.
[Image: BannerMain.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Just pixels. - by Speed-X - 05-21-2014, 07:20 PM
RE: Just pixels. - by Garamonde - 05-21-2014, 07:23 PM
RE: Just pixels. - by Level 1 - 05-21-2014, 07:24 PM
RE: Just pixels. - by Omega - 05-21-2014, 07:46 PM
RE: Just pixels. - by Speed-X - 05-21-2014, 07:57 PM
RE: Just pixels. - by Iocus - 05-21-2014, 08:08 PM
RE: Just pixels. - by Speed-X - 05-21-2014, 08:47 PM
RE: Just pixels. - by Garamonde - 05-21-2014, 09:53 PM
RE: Just pixels. - by Speed-X - 05-22-2014, 11:12 PM
RE: Just pixels. - by StarSock64 - 05-22-2014, 11:22 PM