Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Toon/Cel Shading (Pokémon X/Y Style?)
Hey everyone, I've been fiddling around in 3Ds max, trying to achieve a result similar to the Rendering style in Pokémon X/Y for parody purposes with minor (and varying degrees of) success.

[Image: pMsLQ27.png]
The model itself isn't finished texture/rigging-wise (and there are a few elements I want to tweak to the polygons)

But my main problem that I've been encountering is limiting the shading to simple areas and shapes on the model.

[Image: 2CnSUYJ.png]
There's a lot of banding going on, but I also want to limit the lit area to the region of his head where it looks more like this:
[Image: OJBjF7A.png]

I may have to modify the geometry of my model, but I also would like to find a way to better control what the shader does at render. I've been searching the internet to see if anyone has posted any attempts at this style, but to no avail.

I'm not working on any particular time table on this, but any input would be greatly appreciated.
Salvador Dali Wrote: Begin by learning to draw and paint like the old masters. After that, you can do as you like; everyone will respect you.
[Image: shrine.gif]
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Toon/Cel Shading (Pokémon X/Y Style?) - by Sketchasaurus - 03-21-2014, 03:58 AM