Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Depictions of Women in Gaming (and other related issues)
(02-27-2014, 02:04 PM)soulcaliburfan Wrote: I said it already, Namco is having a tough time showing progress in her character due to no aging. So they have no solid way of showing said progress in the character design.

Again, I ask you to define "progress", and to explain how progress correlates with designing outfits with less clothing over time. You didn't actually say anything. Like, I actually don't get what relationship you're making here. Please explain in detail.

Not to mention, laziness on the artists' part is not a valid excuse, nor one you should accept as a consumer.

(02-27-2014, 02:04 PM)soulcaliburfan Wrote: Without going out of your way to make characters not wear anything even remotely revealing, it is tougher than just saying don't make them sexual.
It would be like putting every character in sweatpants and and tarnished t-shirts.

I've mentioned this already, but she has alternative 2P outfits that serve her purposes better. They don't have to go out of their way to do anything, because the outfits already exist. They just aren't used as the main ones, for really artificial and out-of-universe reasons.

That last bit about putting every character in sweatpants and t-shirts is extremely faulty because nobody is saying:
(02-27-2014, 02:04 PM)soulcaliburfan Wrote: make characters not wear anything even remotely revealing

Like, nobody made that point at all to begin with.

EDIT:
wait I think I get what you're saying

Okay, what I’m confused about is why there needs to be indication of Ivy’s “progress” in the first place. I'm assuming by "progress" you're referring to the passage of time. Say you had a fighting game where there was a vampire. Like, Dracula, or something. You wouldn’t design his outfits so that they became more revealing until you finally hit boxer shorts just because he’s eternally young. You would simply give him different outfits that fit his character.

The audience really doesn’t need an indicator of progress. You don’t need an indicator of time because you get that from the rest of the context. It’s not like wearing less clothes is an indicator of time, either. And it’s definitely not an indicator of her heightened skill. Eternally young people in real life certainly wouldn’t mark their birthdays by getting more revealing outfits. It doesn’t make sense. In most sequential games that change outfits each time, they simply get a different design. That’s completely sufficient, making trends like removing clothing unnecessary.
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Depictions of Women in Gaming (and other related issues) - by StarSock64 - 02-27-2014, 02:16 PM