Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Interesting or other facts you know?
(11-29-2013, 10:48 AM)Dazz Wrote: The Jackson 5 song "ABC" is actually named after the first three letters of the alphabet, and Michael Jackson reads these letters out multiple times throughout the song. It is how I learned that A comes at the start of the alphabet and C is the 3rd letter in the alphabet.

Jokes aside, the first three letters in the alphabet, were derived from the ancient Phoenician alphabet. Interestingly, their alphabet didn't have all the vowels: they'd write the words with consonants and few vowels only, having to deduce the others by context.

The letter A in the phoenician alphabet is Aleph, meaning "bull". You can see that 'A' is a bull's head upside-down.
The letter B, Beth, means "house". It's been rotated 90º clockwise throughout the years to form the modern shape.
The letter C, Gimel, means "camel". It refers to the hump on its back.

Those and many other letters were imported to Greek, who added definite vowel letters to the mix, and Romans took it as a base to form the Latin Alphabet.

The word "Alphabet" is literally alpha+beta together. The same thing in Latin is "Abecedarium", a word formed with 'a+b+c+d' and 'arium', meaning 'place'.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Maxpphire, Kriven

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interesting or other facts you know? - by Gors - 11-29-2013, 11:55 AM