Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Chase's Sprite Cutter
This is a small java program that turns a normal sprite sheet (that you can find on spriter's resource) into individual sprite images.

Latest Version Download Link
Original Console Version

Latest Version: 1.5 on Aug 05, 2013

I looked around sprites resource and found that most of the sprites were sort of jumbled together. Not a rippers fault, but it makes any kind of use of the sprites difficult, and I don't want to spend a few hours in photoshop just so I could grin at seeing an animated version.

I looked around and couldn't really find anything that could fix that exactly. So I wrote a small java program that automatically cuts up a sprite sheet and spits out all the individual sprites. Of course there is some margin of error, but I tried to add some command line options that can help you tweak those.

Originally I planned to add something that could go about aligning similar sprites to make animation easier. I have a few simple AI designs that work sometimes (PM, statistical, color fudging, area averaging, etc), but nothing that actually works good enough for release yet.

Known problems:
  • It can jam up on really large sprite sets. So you might have to do a little cutting by hand anyway.
  • Not all sprite sheet are completely compatible, some of them that use line separation can cause large extra images to be generated. I may fix this eventually.
  • It is not a tile cutter, things that are perfectly tiled already don't really need the use of this tool. I may add this eventually.
  • All sprites displayed in the preview box take up the same area, so one large sprite can make a bunch of small sprites take up that much area in the preview pane. I may fix this eventually.
  • It can be a little slow.

How it works:
It generates an image mask from the sprite image and then searches pixel by pixel for a area that is not background, once found it flood fills that area and records the pixel locations which it then uses to generate a bounding box and alpha mask (if using masking option) for output.

[Image: iqLXHi0Pz57C6.png]

How to use it:
  1. Click and Drag your file onto the "Drag and Drop Image Here" Box.
  2. Adjust your options according to the preview for the options you want.
  3. Select an export location (if you want it somewhere else)
  4. Click "Export To Files" button
  5. Your done!
Thanked by: Gors, puggsoy, Shade

Messages In This Thread
Chase's Sprite Cutter - by Chase - 09-27-2012, 11:07 PM
RE: Chase's Sprite Cutter - by hlplayboy1 - 07-22-2013, 11:31 PM
RE: Chase's Sprite Cutter - by Chase - 07-24-2013, 02:43 PM
RE: Chase's Sprite Cutter - by Garamonde - 07-24-2013, 03:06 PM
RE: Chase's Sprite Cutter - by hlplayboy1 - 07-27-2013, 10:48 PM
RE: Chase's Sprite Cutter - by Myzou - 07-30-2013, 10:07 AM
RE: Chase's Sprite Cutter - by Chase - 08-05-2013, 12:19 AM