Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Delightfulness of the Strange - Quirky Games Project
The early Ys series kinda fits this bill because it's an action RPG where you can't actually swing you sword, how you damage an enemy depends on how you run into them on them map and how they run into you.

Unfortunately I don't know how to rip from a lot of the formats that the early games used. I got Ys IV on the PC Engine CD to work (though I can't figure out how to use that thing that lets you see PC Engine CD tiles, which would be incredibly useful if I got that to work), but for some reason I can't get any of the first two games to work at all (The third has a more standard action RPG fighting format, so it's not quirky anymore. xD) Boss fights are more like a Bullet Hell game, especially later installments.

-Syvalion is an interesting shooter where instead of a small, sleek ship, you're a golden chinese dragon ship. You need to fly around and compensate for your long, easily hit body.

-The Wagyan Land series is an interesting platformer. You can usually only freeze enemies by shouting at them, although you do get various other abilities or powerups through the games. The bosses aren't actually fought, but they challenge you to various puzzle games, differing throughout the series. The most polished one is Wagyan Paradise on SNES.

-Spanky's Quest: You are a monkey who bounces bubbles off his head and when he pops them they become sports balls. Nuff said.

-The Snow Bros Series is where you play as snowmen throwing ice on enemies, turning them into snowballs and then kicking them through the stage. A lot like Bubble Bobble in a way with different twists, and the bosses are pretty cool.

-The Little Ninja Brothers/Super Ninja Boy/ Super Chinese series are action RPGs where you walk around a lot like a classic Final Fantasy game, but random battles are fought in a beat-em-up format, but main bosses are usually fought in a turned based format. The series also spawned a fighting game in its series, which is less quirky. I actually think that one of the installments has a mode where you actually choose to play Beat-em-up style or Turn Based, but I can't figure out the Japanese menus. xD Incidentally, I was planning on ripping from these as part of the beat-em-up project.

Uhh, can't think of any more off the top of my head. xD
Thanked by: Garamonde

Messages In This Thread
RE: Delightfulness of the Strange - Quirky Games Project - by TomGuycott - 08-24-2012, 10:08 PM