Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Something that came to me regarding what is considered literature?
Not essentially sure where this kind of topic would belong, However I kind of had to ask my self after having a slight argument in the toilet of the internet's literature board and figured this could be an interesting thing to discuss.

So mind I ask that if forms of literature have kept on evolving since the Epic of Gilgamesh since forms of writing can be used different ways. Why are there people that insist that Books, Poetry, Essays, and so on are the only things that count?

True there are different forms of media, ranging from books, movies, and video games that more or less have a level of writing in them, which is something they all have in common. Sure about two of the things I mentioned are not the other but I kind of had to ask myself if that the scripts and dialogue helped make a movie's or game's story then, isn't that some form of written art being expressed differently? I remember what I learned in my world literature class that the ancient Greeks originally told their epics orally until Homer decided to write them down, and then I realized that movies and video games aren't really any different from that, but they're done the exact opposite way.

That all being said I'm sort of wondering what could be considered as written art. Obviously you can't say a painting is a piece of literature since that isn't necessarily a written art, but movies and video games these days are pretty much a combination of art, writing, and music, and other things. Which almost makes them fall under an art of it's own but in the sense that you still can tell it has other forms of art crafting it's anatomy in a pretty figurative way.

Normally I hate the kind of people who say that video games or movies can't be _____. I can see their reasoning why, but I just don't agree with it since forms of entertainment and art has always been evolving. I remember in a thread awhile back regarding some guy's opinion on how video games can't be art, someone stated that practically anything can be a form of art. In a sense why can't movies be literature? Or why can't today's video games be literature? I'm not going to get into how games that were made before the playstation or N64 can be considered a form of literature because most of them practically had no story in them unless they were RPG's, which is understandable since gaming was back in it's baby steps during the 80's and 90's and we didn't have the technology then, but by today's standards anything is possible since consoles have more power to do more with games in a nutshell *coughMetalGearSolidcough*. There isn't necessarily a concrete definition of literature aside from "a form of written art" so I kind of want to put this up for debate to see what people think.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by: Gwen

Messages In This Thread
Something that came to me regarding what is considered literature? - by DioShiba - 08-17-2012, 11:18 PM