Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Momentary
(06-21-2012, 02:07 PM)PillowSledder Wrote: I would Like to put as much emphasis on this as possible right now; YES! You have to enlarge it by 300%! When I put the sprites in the game, they will be about that size. I am not going to resize them as that would be just unneeded, at least till now, I don't know if it will be necessary. It sure saves a bit of memory space anyways. I mean look how little the sprites are, that is kind of hard to see on a computer game.
You don't have to make such tiny sprites anyways I guess. Sprites of this size are hard as you have only that many pixels to create a readable and appealing sprite. If you want sprites of this scale, you might want to try drastically stylized graphics like in the Gameboy Zelda games. Anatomy is hard, especially on this scale (there's no way we could just tell you how to correct the anatomy issues in your sprites as anatomy is a complex topic you need to learn by analyzing it).
If you want to make games which are intended to be played at multiple scale resolution, you need to know how to get the best out of the few pixels you have If you want a good-looking result.
I can look at these at 300x and they still look off, if not even more so.

(06-21-2012, 02:07 PM)PillowSledder Wrote: Sorry again about putting a dent in your day. That being you all, including you Hoeloe, really sorry there. I shouldn't of actually came to the forums because of my past experiences, but giving it one last go and another chance is always in order. Please think of this as an apology, I'm trying not to be a smart as. I did learn something though Big Grin ! I still don't understand what is wrong with the anatomy, could you guys explain what I can do to fix it before I go?
There is no proper anatomy is the problem, I'd say. Everything is blocky, extremities expand and shrink in animations, legs are incredibly short and too much like the bottom half of an X. Again, you might want to consider a more Zelda-like style to get around some these problems. Or you'd like a style without outlines as those take away a lot of pixels valuable for proportions.
Your colors are badly chosen, there's barely any contrast and the shading doesn't convey any volume. Check our spriting dictionary for some pointers and general knowledge.

Again, noone wants to attack you, we're just here to help. People might sound harsh. bnut sugarcoating doesn't help if you want to improve. It bugs us when our criticism seems to hit a dead end as we usually know what we're talking about and spriters showing their work here are assumed to do so in order to get some advice (even in the GameDev area). It's true that we often fail to give proper advice, but knowing there is a problem with an aspect is half the solution. In some cases, it suffices to point to an error to make the creator see what's wrong and finding a solution yourself is sometimes more rewarding. Besides we don't even know where to start when you post tons of sprites at a time, it's better when you pick something to focus on (which has already been stated here) (not a whole sheet, not a full animation, start with a single still sprite).

As soon as you're saying you don't care much about how it looks, you're telling us you don't want our help which makes us wonder why you show us your sprites. When you come here with your sprites, it doesn't matter if your opinion is that bad sprites are alright. It's art and thus subjective, sure, but techniques can be analyzed objectively and there are always some "rules" to follow, may it be traditional art or pixels.

If you want to get better, you'll have to put work into it. I repeat: Take a single sprite and try to optimize it before moving on to animations and full sheets. If you can't do the one properly, you can only fail at the other. They're dependencies.

Messages In This Thread
Momentary - by PillowSledder - 06-13-2012, 09:28 PM
RE: Momentary - by Vipershark - 06-13-2012, 10:32 PM
RE: Momentary - by Cobalt Blue - 06-14-2012, 01:09 AM
RE: Momentary - by PillowSledder - 06-14-2012, 01:24 PM
RE: Momentary - by ~Axis~ - 06-14-2012, 01:33 PM
RE: Momentary - by PillowSledder - 06-14-2012, 01:51 PM
RE: Momentary - by PillowSledder - 06-14-2012, 09:38 PM
RE: Momentary - by Thumbtacks - 06-14-2012, 10:59 PM
RE: Momentary - by PillowSledder - 06-15-2012, 06:26 PM
RE: Momentary - by Hoeloe - 06-16-2012, 06:27 AM
RE: Momentary - by PillowSledder - 06-16-2012, 11:37 AM