Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[APP][FINISHED] Sprite Sheet Editor
[Image: SpriteSheetEditor.png]

Sprite Sheet Editor is a tool designed for managing sprite sheets, and exporting their contents as animated GIF files. The tool was initially created for personal use only. As I felt it could be useful to sprite artists to preview animations or simply for generating animated GIF’s in a fast and easy fashion I’ve touched it up slightly and put it online. Remember that at it’s core, it was designed for personal use. While I will listen to feedback given here, I probably won't be implementing further versions of the app, as it is just a side product of another project I'm working on. I'm throwing it out here as it may be useful to some of you to inspect your sprite sheets.

It may have a non-intuitive interface. If you examine it for a couple of minutes however, you should be able to get what you need, out of the program fast. I've made a 5 ~ 10 minute guide that will walk you through all the features of the program, so you can see whether it could be useful to you. The guide contains a lot of images, so I won't be posting it in here. I've uploaded the tutorial on my website, it can be found here: http://jellevancampen.co.cc/?p=45 (As forums tend to be leery of people posting links of their websites: I'm not trying to lure visitors to my site; I only have 2 articles on it. It's just more convenient than retyping the entire tutorial in a BBCode compatible form.)

Obligatory screenshot to prove it's real:
[Image: screen06.png]

You can download the app from the page on my website I posted above here, or use this direct download link: http://www.jellevancampen.co.cc/data/Spr...Editor.zip

The zip contains a .jar file. These can be compared to .exe files. Double clicking them will run the program. The file extension is ".jar" because the app was programmed in Java rather than a binary compiled language. Some examples are included as well, including a sprite sheet from SmithyGCN.'s 2ST project, because his sheets look amazing when animated. You can obviously use GIF's created with this program without crediting the program.

I've noticed a similar app called "Previous' GIF Animator" (PGA). I decided still to post this because there is feel there is a difference between the programs. While PGA methodologically starts from the concept of a GIF being a collection of individual images with delays attached to them, this Sprite Sheet Editor (SSE) starts from the concept of a sprite sheet. Therefore I'd recommend PGA for generating animations when you have all separate frames of the GIF available as separate files. I'd say SSE is more dedicated to prototyping game sprite sheets as it allows for mixing frames in any order to create animations, batch exporting an entire set of animations, color keying and in-application examination of individual frames or animations.

Once again, I will gladly answer questions and listen to constructive criticism. I probably won't be implementing c+c though.
Thanked by: Previous, Gaia

Messages In This Thread
[APP][FINISHED] Sprite Sheet Editor - by Jelleye - 06-11-2012, 01:26 PM
RE: [APP][FINISHED] Sprite Sheet Editor - by Gaia - 06-11-2012, 04:41 PM
RE: [APP][FINISHED] Sprite Sheet Editor - by Gaia - 06-14-2012, 08:06 PM