Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Not this again...
After a year of working on Turbo Model Thingy and Nitro Model Thingy I decided, why not just get back into spriting? It's the only thing that comes close to drawing that I'm actually decent at, and it's about time anyway.

Time for what?

Well, time for...

[Image: pcn_logo.png]

Beeeeeh, the Afresh themes at least won't display this logo correctly...

But yeah, anyway, Project Captain N time again. This time I'm just going to sprite away, and see where it goes. Also, instead of just showing you guys a list of things I'm planning to do, I'll be showing things I currently am or have been working on, as well as some stuff I made just for practice.

So yeah, the biggest project so far must be Mona's redesign. Let me first show you how she used to look like.

[Image: mona_p00006.png]

That's one of the latest versions of her old design. While the sprite in itself is okay, it just doesn't have the same Mona spirit as in the original games. Now I did try to rework the sprite using this as a base, but the results weren't really successful.

[Image: mona_p00008.png]

I only got to the head with this, so the body was just a placeholder. The thing is, I didn't like any of the faces. They were just horrible. So then I thought, I did a comparison one day between Mega Man Zero and Mega Man ZX to see if the styles were compatible. While they are done in different styles on their own, when I edited them I was able to make them work without having style clashes. Take for example Kevin Keene (Vent if I'm correct) and old-style Mona (Ciel).

[Image: kevinkeene_s.png][Image: mona_s.png]

So then I remembered that I also made another comparison, that between the Mega Man Zero / ZX games and Jump! Superstars. While again they were different styles they could be made compatible. And it's not entirely impossible to do this. Take for example Super Smash Bros., which takes characters with vastly differing styles and unifies them so that they work in one game.

So, with that in mind, I used a character I knew looked sort of like Mona and basically used it as my basis for the new version.

[Image: mona2_p00004.png]

Now the sprites can use a little bit more work, they're not perfect. Aside from the fact that they all make her seem a bit chubby, the color palette isn't really optimized. I believe the highest color count so far is 22. This however has been done so that I wouldn't need to restrict myself to a limited color palette now. I could just create the most crazy costumes without worrying about running out of colors. Another thing, though minor, is the fact that her feet are probably too small, but that can also easily be fixed.

Anyway, here's a shot of her next to two other characters.

[Image: monacomparison.png]

So I've decided to continue with the project, but so far, I've mainly been working on the characters. In fact, I'm missing just one character that I need to sprite at the moment. But, what's also important is the backgrounds. I've already worked on some backgrounds, but most aren't really complete things you can easily work with at this point.

[Image: smb3_castle_test00001.png]

[Image: smb3_castle_test00002.png]

The one thing I should have worked on but hadn't was Kevin's bedroom. Sure it only comes up once or twice in the series, but it's still an important part of the series, as this is where it all began.

[Image: pcn_kevinsroom_p00003.png]

I do have to say, it's not done yet. It first of all needs a lot more clutter, and a lot more video games and systems. But I already have the basis. There also have been some slight changes on the room in comparison to what's in the original series of Captain N: The Game Master. First of all, there's a desk now on the right, which will contain a laptop, which is by the way just for show, and the television has been replaced by a flatscreen, as I want to put the series in 2009 now, about twenty years after the original.

Finally, there are some stuff I just wanted to show that I made but might not have shown here. First of all, Mona's scooter, an important part of her character.

[Image: mona_scooter.png]

While it was made during the time I still used the old sprite, it still works for the current version. Unfortunately I was always too lazy to actually sprite her on her scooter.

[Image: samus_bike.png]

Originally I wanted to give Samus a bike, which is why I made this one, which is basically a blend of her flagships. I'm not sure if I'll ever use it, but if you want to use it, go ahead.

[Image: cn_pop_throne_p00003.png]

Another one of those things I'm not sure I've shown before, but it seems relevant to me to show it now.

[Image: bolt.png]

This one finally has nothing to do with Project Captain N, other than that I've made it in the same sprite style. Guess who it is without watching the URL.

Anyway, as always, comments and criticism. I might post more later on, and if people want I could post the work I haven't posted here but did on other places and crap.
Big sigs are for scrubs.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Not this again... - by GaryCXJk - 05-21-2012, 05:20 AM
RE: Not this again... - by Gors - 05-21-2012, 06:14 AM
RE: Not this again... - by Terminal Devastation - 05-21-2012, 01:19 PM
RE: Not this again... - by Gors - 05-21-2012, 02:56 PM
RE: Not this again... - by Gaia - 05-21-2012, 05:11 PM
RE: Not this again... - by Gors - 05-21-2012, 05:32 PM
RE: Not this again... - by GaryCXJk - 05-22-2012, 03:02 AM
RE: Not this again... - by Hoeloe - 05-22-2012, 04:17 AM
RE: Not this again... - by GaryCXJk - 05-22-2012, 02:01 PM