Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[GAME] indie programmer searching for a decent sprite/pixel-artist
hi guys,

I'm a german hobby game developer and would like to make something a bit more elaborated but my pixel skills aren't too pretty and I'm busy enough with coding anyway.

so I'm searching for an artist for my next project

I only recently started developing browser games (flash) via action script 3 and the flashpunk library but I'm quite experienced in game dev. and have a good amount of books on my shelf as well as (a lot) academic papers on this topic. my coding skill isn't shabby as well. although I'm not a professional computer scientist - I'm coding for about 8 years now and want to dive more into browser game development.

so - you can take a look at a little classic platformer game I made to get familiar with flash-development here and my ludum dare #23 entry here (I only had 12 hours to make it and the beginning is much too long - sorry about that) - it was blogged on Indiegames.com
I also made some more flash-stuff like random dungeon generators and a prototype for a strategy game

apart from that I've made some Game Maker and RPG Maker stuff back in the days - but I won't bother showing you that. I also made some stuff with Java but I coded my own engine for it - mainly because I wasn't aware of Slick2D - so it's more a technical achievement than game dev.
I would like to stick to flashpunk for my upcoming projects though - it's such a lovely framework to code with

some more info about me:
  • german
  • 23y old
  • studying philosophy at uni (doing economics & computer science a bit as well)
  • hobbies: street photography, e-bass, drums, hacking electronics, game dev

I need someone who can pixel/sprite (and in the best case draw) quite decently - by what I mean: at least considerably better than me. I want a partner to work with as a two person team - possibly adding a third member (a music/sound guy) during later development. if everything turns out great I want to continue working with you for additional projects - so this might be your chance to enter the indie game dev scene!

the game isn't decided yet - I have a quite elaborated concept here but if you want to do something else - no problem, as long as it's 2D and single-player I can code anything. (I can also code multiplayer stuff but I quite frankly hate coding server side multiplayer optimization algorithms. I can code 3D as well (I'm familiar with the Unity engine) but I aesthetically like 2D more) the point is: after I found someone (possibly you) we're going to sit down and develop a nice concept we're both happy with

also - most probably we're going to make some money as well, since we're either going to find a sponsor (advertising) or directly sell the game (for a small amount) on our site (I'll code one for it) and possibly iOS / android market - if the game won't be to complex for touch controls
I don't want to promise large sums of money - but I promise to split the earnings in a fair way.

are you interested ?

if you are, please write a post telling me a bit about yourself, your experiences and make sure to include some work of yours

thanks
-Orni

//edit:
(05-02-2012, 07:05 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: Edit: this is basically a request. If I were you, I'd avoid that on your first post. I suggest you present your concept in more detail, maybe show some kind of engine/demo to be even more to the point?

well - we're all adults here. I'm a programmer, not not much of an artist, so I doubt I'd be able to contribute much anyway.
this is a 'request', yes - but a reasonable one I think.

I don't think it's possible to explain the (possible) concept in more detail than I already did here
if you want play something I did - try out ten
Thanked by: Gwen

Messages In This Thread
[GAME] indie programmer searching for a decent sprite/pixel-artist - by Orni - 05-02-2012, 05:14 PM