Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Color continuity with sprite ripping
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but:

Alright, I've decided to go back to sprite ripping from Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (USA). I'm trying to rip the overworld sprites, with no$gba + zoomer , but there's a LOT of brightness continuity and discrepancies! It's like every time I rip a sprite, the emulator randomly gets either somewhat brighter or darker leading to a lot of stress and confusion! Then I get all anxious and start thinking about color rules and shades and MLBIS' sprite style and if everyone will notice the contradictions.

Is there anyone out there that experienced this or knows where I'm coming from? Anyone seen any sprite sheets that are like that in which several sprites have somewhat different brightnesses? Should I just give up and move on to something else? Or does it not really matter? The sprites' pixel shades are nonidentical, so I see the usefulness of these being drowned. I suppose I could somehow look into palette swaps but the brightnesses have changed so many times that I have no idea how many of each type there are, so I'd be doing that indefinitely.

On the subject of contradictions, I noticed while browsing through MFGG in comparing my sprite rips to someone else's, the brightnesses on theirs are slightly different than mine as well. If not, then I feel as if I'm just doing this whole thing wrong in an entirety. Sad

I did notice, though, when pausing the emulator and repausing it, it brightens it up again, so maybe I can just do that every time I want to rip a sprite, with the assumption that I remember to do that.

Oh, and here's an example of what I'm talking about:
[Image: deleteme.png]

As you might be able to tell, the top one is a tad bit brighter than the bottom. The top is a sprite of the pause menu where you can view Mario's stats. The bottom one I just got when Mario is walking in Toad Town outside Bowser's body.

So please, someone help, if possible. I really don't want to cancel this project, I got really far and want to continue.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Color continuity with sprite ripping - by FormerUser20 - 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM