Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Save the Internet: The SOPA/PIPA thread.
(01-19-2012, 04:57 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: I signed a petition on Avaaz.org regarding this.

Also discovered ACTA. It made me angrier. Blank

Yeah, ACTA is even more terrible because of how wide it's reach is. Don't worry, there's a movement in the UK (and I'm assuming there will be in the rest of Europe to some degree) aimed at stopping that too.

(01-19-2012, 05:01 PM)Chibi Wrote:
(01-19-2012, 12:53 AM)Argyle Bastard Wrote:
(01-18-2012, 11:28 PM)Chibi Wrote: All I know is this black out shit needs to stop. Seriously getting irritating

Besides, it was one day, and it helped spread the message so that even thick skulled people finally got it.
Our Senator was in Madison earlier to discuss this and he said he would oppose it. With all the other Senators and Reps who said they would oppose, along with the PIPA/SOPA website caught copyright infringing material, these bills are quickly losing steam, and today was a big factor in helping that.
There are other ways of 'raising awareness'

Honestly, if it were this big of a worry, wouldn't people have been worrying this constantly about it before yesterday? Then just out of nowhere black outs. Black outs everywhere.

Maybe the censorship could be a good thing. People rely on computer technology far to much these days. If it wasn't there maybe people would actually talk face to face a little more, maybe read a damn book for once
People have been worrying about it longer than yesterday, the technical community has been worried about SOPA/PIPA for a long time, and there was a lot of coverage on the house debates in December. The blackouts didn't come out of nowhere, they had been planned weeks in advance; it was also mentioned on the site days ahead that it'd be down.

As for censorship, that's ridiculous. Censorship would allow governments to decide exactly what news you're allowed to see. You just need to look at countries like China and North Korea to understand why online censorship is a terrible idea.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Save the Internet: The SOPA/PIPA thread. - by Raz - 01-19-2012, 05:01 PM