Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Save the Internet: The SOPA/PIPA thread.
(01-18-2012, 09:53 AM)puggsoy Wrote: Anyone who uses Wikipedia regularly (i.e. 90% of internet users) already know this.

But yeah, a thread for this is good. I'm greatly against this, because even though it's (for now) only for the US, that's still a massive hit. I mean, almost every meaningful site is based there.

They may know about the act but you'll be surprised about how many people don't actually understand what it means for them.

For example; it's a big hit, not because almost every meaningful site is hosted there, but because of how this law works. VeriSign control the .com and .org domain name registration system and they're based in the US, therefore under the jurisdiction of the United States laws. That means that any site, no matter where they're hosted in the world (for example tSR is hosted in France), can be seized for "infringement" which is a term that is far too loose in these pieces of legislation.

So yeah; people already know about the bills, but they may not be aware of the implications for them.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Save the Internet: The SOPA/PIPA thread. - by Raz - 01-18-2012, 10:02 AM