Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
tsrBound: How Sponge Saved Christmas [Idea][In Development][Fangame?]
tsrBound: How Sponge Saved Christmas

What is it?: A tongue-in-cheek "fangame" of sorts that started out as an idea for a Secret Santa gift for Sponge (that I wasn't able to finish) that would also serve as a massive spreading of forum Love. The game is being designed in Multimedia Fusion 2, the sprites consisting of a variety of edited Earthbound/Mother sprites.

Gameplay: The gameplay is being designed with an overworld resembling Earthbound, but the battle mechanics are action based (since I can't currently design RPG mechanics as well as action). There are still RPG elements involved such as equipment and gaining higher stats as you progress through battles successfully.

As of now, Sponge has five available, upgradable weapons (based on Minecraft):
1. Sword: Swinging fires a "sword beam" in a pattern determined by the sword's current upgrade.
2. Axe: Swings in a short, vertical distance for higher power.
3. Hoe: Swings in a wide, horizontal slash for lower power.
4. Pick: Swings around in a circle, hitting all angles around Sponge in a short range. Can reflect certain attacks.
5. Shovel: Digs up debris that bound upward in an arc.

In addition to standard HP and PP stats, there will be a third point called GP (Guts Points). Every physical attack Sponge performs drains GP, and having low or no GP greatly diminishes effects of physical attacks (Sword attacks losing their beams for example). Sponge can also dash in the battle screen at the cost of GP. GP gradually recovers while Sponge stands still.

Sponge will also have PK abilities available, though not many have been fully fleshed out. They will contain a variety of offensive and defensive techniques, some unique ones learned from certain bosses.

Other Characters?: At first the only playable character was going to be Sponge, but since this never got finished for Christmas I've been debating whether to include other characters to make a party for the Story Mode of the game. I have a few ideas that might work, but I'd also love any feedback.

For now the project is going to be moving RELATIVELY slowly (I work full time and this time of year is hectic at the job). However, I really enjoy making silly games like this, so when I do have opportunities to work on this I can get a decent amount done. These two spoiler tags contain most of the tangible work that's been done for the game (besides the actual engine, which I can't quite post yet).

I'm not looking for major help in the way of engine building, but I'm open for suggestions on design if anyone has any. Also if you don't like the way your reference (or in any effect YOU) are being represented in the game, I can make changes or remove a given character from the game if need be. This is just for fun, I don't want to bother anybody by including them when they don't want to be.

One thing I might want more suggestions on are creatures or characters that could serve as basic enemies in battles between boss fights. The only one I have so far is the Creeper from Minecraft.

Messages In This Thread
tsrBound: How Sponge Saved Christmas [Idea][In Development][Fangame?] - by TomGuycott - 01-08-2012, 02:09 AM