Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
"Giving credit" when uploading images to a wiki
(11-18-2011, 08:29 AM)Petie Wrote: I think a lawsuit is a bit far fetched but I do fully agree with giving people who put in the effort to rip these sprites, regardless of whether they hold the actual copyright for the image, credit for their work. I only can't answer it because I'm not exactly familiar with how the wiki is set up. If they are all going on a single page though, I feel like it would probably be enough to throw a line in the references section to the effect of "All sprites ripped by Shoda from The Spriters Resource" which would include a link to either the submitter profile directly or otherwise at least to the home page.

I've no problem giving credit, provided there is a sensible solution to do so. There is not, like you suggest, any centralized page were the pictures she ripped belong. Primarily, images in a wiki are to be used in the content pages, which you want as uncluttered as possible, and are hence not a place where credits belong. That leaves the individual file pages, which are these "back stage" pages no one will usually read (for reference here is one, with credits given: http://ninehourspersonsdoors.wikia.com/w...airs_1.png ), and I'm not so willing to spend 30 min + individually adding messages to some 150 pages that won't be read anyway (although many of those already have such a message now, since I was editing the file pages for "sort keys" yesterday, so I added a credit message as well).

And for reference, my question about copyright was't just because of "lawsuit scenarios by the ripper", but also because in the File pages you are meant to list the actual legal status in which the images are being used (in this case, "fair use", which is something even messier if you are using works legally considered as derivative, I think).
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Giving credit" when uploading images to a wiki - by Groupoid - 11-18-2011, 03:49 PM