Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Portal 2 is offensive! I want my money back!
Honestly there were some problematic things said in-game; the comments about weight kinda rubbed me the wrong way, for one, and use of the word "moron" (which is used a lot) is actually p. problematic, since that's a slightly old word to refer to someone who's developmentally delayed. It's a similar problem to using the word "retarded" as a pejorative; it's making a value judgment about people with learning difficulties.

But it's not as if GladOS is actually characterised as a good character who you're really meant to like or sympathise with, so her saying nasty things is because, well, she's being fuckin' nasty. Even Wheatley is characterised as well-meaning but pretty ignorant, so for me, the problematic things are excusable because they're not meant to be taken as correct or good.

That said, for someone who is adopted that could bring up some unpleasant and raw emotions and that's in pretty poor taste, using something potentially personal just to characterise GladOS as an asshole. So, I'm not gonna start preaching about how someone's offense isn't valid. That'd be unfair, especially as I'm not someone who was adopted, so I'm pretty much speaking from a position of privilege.
Basically what I'm saying is: I can see both sides of the argument. I don't personally find much in the game offensive, but I think anyone who's personally affected who did find it offensive is perfectly justified, and it'd be pretty shitty of me to yell them down about it.
[Image: 6WzBw.gif]
Thanked by: Garamonde

Messages In This Thread
RE: Portal 2 is offensive! I want my money back! - by Chutzpar - 05-18-2011, 01:46 PM