Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[MATH] Method to reduce both sides of an equation?
Let's say I have an equation of the type X=ab+cd and I want to make the value of X considerably smaller while changing ab and cd individually rather than as a whole. Is there any way to do this other than simple multiplication and subtraction?

X is large, but b and d are too small for me to reduce by subtraction and potentially too similar throughout the sets to reduce with simple multiplication. I tried square roots, which kind of worked for me, but there was a problem -- square rooting X required sqrt(ab+cd), but what I had was sqrt(ab)+sqrt(cd), which is a mathematical no-no. So are there any other methods I'm overlooking?

Oh, and to clarify, only b and d are unalterable sets, but a and c are multiplicative modifiers which, if you can maintain the same scalable results, you're more than welcome to modify. I was considering something like yX=wab-zcd where w+z=y or something, I don't know. (edit again) Oh, and ok so a=3/2 and c=1/3
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
[MATH] Method to reduce both sides of an equation? - by TheouAegis - 01-14-2011, 04:07 AM