Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Looking for Capcom models from Dreamcast
Thanks. I didn't realize Power Stone was ported to the PSP. I never had a PSP.

I made another advancement today, like just now, and I am so excited I had to post even though it isn't spectacular.
I feel like and idiot, and if it had been a snake, it would have bit me.
If you want, you can skip the next part and just go to my success at the bottom, but to hopefully spare others of some grief...
I have been spinning my wheels on this "Flat Model's" issue for the past 4 or 5 days. I have tried everything; checking boxes... changing settings I didn't understand... downloading .dll files from who knows where, ect. it was all hard to keep straight, and it was all in vain.
I have been reading message boards and watching videos on the Ninja Ripper YouTube channel to get ideas of things to try. I have been trying Global Injection Mode, etc.. it was so frustrating and I could go on and on, but I'll get to the point.

2 days ago (Jan 19, 2024) a new video was posted in the Ninja Ripper YouTube channel regarding a PlayStation 2 emulation (https://youtu.be/bEHCcnaNd6Y?si=nYhgZg3ubdHpHq2h). I watched it for the first time today. In this video, the person also gets the usual flat models. He scales up the Z axis, a lot, and it eventually "inflates." I was so excited that I didn't even finish watching the video. I tried it and it worked. I don't have textures yet, and I don't get polygons that aren't facing the camera, but it kind of worked. I had tried scaling up the Z axis before, and nothing seemed to happen. But I needed to do it about 10X more then I had before. I will post a short screen grab from my computer here. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/16p3i5mg...sp=sharing)
Next, I want to see if I can get the textures. Another new territory. Maybe there is also a better way to get the entire model.

So in summary, I used DEmul to run the game, and Ninja Ripper to get the models. Redream did not work for me to rip models. I am not sure why, but I never had success with it at all.
When running Ninja Ripper to open the demul.exe, and then in demul, starting the Dreamcast, you should see some green text in the upper left corner letting you know what to press to capture models (I changed my settings from the default "Print Screen" button to the "End" button because the Print Screen button was causing trouble). Now sometimes, I only get one file on my first try, and then if I try again after a few seconds, the green text will turn red for several seconds. This is a good sign because it means it's working on capturing polygon files.
You have to follow the Ninja Ripper instructions to install the importer for Blender, or other 3D software, but Blender is free.
Next, import all the files into Blender and remove any of the ones you don't need and then inflate it.
If your team has any trouble doing this, or has any questions, let me know. I may need to write more detailed instructions later, but it's late and I am tired.
I will upload the one blender file I made here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zDgVC2v...drive_link). It has 2 version of G Kaiser because I was trying 2 ways to import him. Also, side note, I thought I was only getting a single square when importing using the "World Space" option, but it was just that G Kaiser was really small and buried under a larger square, so I didn't know he was there. It seems better to just import using the "Local space (T pose)" option.
If I can get the textures and a complete model, I can start working on getting models from the other games you requested. Hopefully this same process will work on other Dreamcast games as well. For all I know, they could even be easier.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for Capcom models from Dreamcast - by ednabisco - 01-22-2024, 01:37 AM